Voltage regulator doubt

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Hello everyone,

I need a circuit that will let me to regulate the output voltage from 0-~24V while having a load of ~1A (and surely less). After a few days research, I found voltage regulator circuit schematic and modified a little to get a variable power supply, but I am not sure if it is OK. My main concerns are heat dissipation and stability.

Any suggestion/advice appreciated. (Schematic in attachment.)

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That's not going to work due to power dissipation in the TIP31C.

When the output is as high as it can go, you will have ~24v less the two ~0.7v emitter drops, so 24v-(2*0.7v) = 22.6v. Power dissipation in the TIP31C will be (36v-22.6v)*1A = 13.4 Watts at that point.

When the output is as low as it can go, with a 1A load, you will have power dissipation in the TIP31C of 36 Watts. The absolute maximum rating of the TIP31C is 40 Watts, IF the temperature of the case is held at a stable 25°C. This implies a requirement for a near-perfect heat sink.

The voltage output will vary somewhat over load, and over variances of the 36v input supply.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
You could look for a bigger transistor, and maybe increase the Zener voltage a bit, but probably you would do better with an IC regulator.

If you do want to persevere with your design, the first thing to note is that as shown the adjustment pot. will disable the 24V Zener as soon as the voltage is turned down from maximum.

It might make more sense to connect the track of the pot (the ends) across the Zener, then wire the slider (the arrow) to the base of the first transistor only.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Adjuster,
The purpose of the Zener was simply to prevent the output from rising above 24v.

The TL2575 would probably do the trick just fine. Switching DC-DC converters are far more efficient than linear regulators, particularly when a wide range of output voltage is required.

Here's a circuit I designed awhile back using Linear Technology's LT1170/LT1171/LT1172 family of regulators; it would work quite well for your application. Changing R2 from 910 Ohms to 730 Ohms would limit the output voltage to around 24v. See the attached.

Attachments

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Here's a circuit I designed awhile back using Linear Technology's LT1170/LT1171/LT1172 family of regulators; it would work quite well for your application. Changing R2 from 910 Ohms to 730 Ohms would limit the output voltage to around 24v. See the attached.
Looks good. I`ll take a look if I quit from the TL2575.

The TL2575 would probably do the trick just fine. Switching DC-DC converters are far more efficient than linear regulators, particularly when a wide range of output voltage is required.
Great. Just one question - do I need a heatsink?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It certainly wouldn't hurt. I would at least make a copper pour area on the PCB design to act as a heat sink. I would not use the DIP package for this project.

You will need to use an inductor of between 150uH and 330uH (inclusive) for your desired input and output voltage range.

The TL2575 has a maximum current rating of 1A, which is the same as your output specification. You usually don't want to use a component at their rated maximum output current, so I will retract my prior suggestion that the TL2575 will "work just fine". Look at the LT1171 solution that I posted instead.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you placed the meter where shown in your schematic, you effectively added inductance between Cin and pin 1. That extra inductance destroyed the IC.

Cin must be connected between pin 1 and GND with leads that are as short as possible.

castley

Joined Jul 17, 2011
You cannot vary the voltage with the pot connected as shown.Connect the pot accros the zener diode and connect the pot wiper to the base of the transistor.Also the pot must be a much higher value or there will be no current thru the zener. I would use at least a 10 K ohm value. Check that the output transistor can dissipate
the wattage, which will probably be at least 2 watts.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gee, this thread was resolved over 3 weeks ago, and the schematic you're referring to from the initial post was superseded by several other schematics.

Wanting to help out is greatly appreciated, but one needs to both read through the entire thread to become familiar with the OP's needs, and also to see what the last few entries were. If it's been several weeks since the last entry and the OP hasn't been heard from, it's not likely that the topic will be re-visited by them.