Voltage regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyCamper

Joined Apr 12, 2013
I have a circuit I'm building which runs DC power into a capacitor. My circuit needs 6 volts and can pull up to about 5 amps, but the capacitor can "store" more than 6 volts. When the circuit draws from the capacitor, it can draw more than the 6 volts.

Is there a way to regulate the voltage coming out of the capacitor? Thanks!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Gee, this sounds a whole lot like a similar post regarding modifications to a motorcycle electrical system....

Be aware, playing these games to get around the ToS is generally not tolerated well by the mods.

HappyCamper

Joined Apr 12, 2013
Wow. I can't believe it is so difficult to find out how to regulate voltage from a capacitor. I have spent days searching. Apparently, regulating voltage from a capacitor is a dangerous thing to do. Just an fyi. There are many reasons to regulate voltage outside of automotive industry. Also, I'm pretty sure I could go through most posts and find a way they "could" relate to automotive alterations. Just because they "could" be applied, doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them.

As for the voltage regulator comment. That's the first thing I thought of. Most regulators I have found don't seem to be rated for 5 amps.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's not an issue of whether other posts "could" be talking about something automotive. This is a site that is owned by someone that has made a decision about the kinds of topics that are acceptable. That is their perogative. By registering you agreed to abide by those Terms of Service. You violated them. Not a huge deal and they were pointed out to you and the reasons explained (and the only reason that matters is that the owners of the site have the right to decide what is permitted). You then further violated them by trying to go around them in a very transparent way. Now, could you have made your initial post in such a way that it wasn't obvious you were talking about a vehicle mod? Sure, and it almost certainly would have gone uncaught. But you didn't and you were.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Second warning, if there a third expect a ban. I did mention this on the first thread. Moderators know all, see all, with the help of other members who are on board.

Regulate From Capacitor

You would not be the first person we have had to do this too, we have experience with the issue.

It is not personal, but we (the moderators) are expected to enforce the rules here on AAC. Other than that it is a light touch where we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.