Voltage Readings without buildng circuits?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by paul_alan, Nov 27, 2011.

1. paul_alan

Thread Starter Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If I adjusted the Function Generator for a Sine Wave output of 15V p-p at a frequency of 2kHz and adjusted the DC offset to -5V DC, how can I determine what the most postive Voltage measurement on the Oscilloscope woud be without physically constructing the circuit? I'm trying to get some formulas or short-cuts to help me as we get more in depth with AC/DC theory

2. Adjuster

Late Member

Dec 26, 2010
    If the function generator was correctly calibrated you would expect to get the voltages as stated, so the maximum voltage would be 15V/2 - 5V or 2.5V.

A possible complication arises if the generator is designed to give the correct amplitude only when terminated into a particular impedance, such as 50ohms. In this case, the amplitude will be incorrect into different impedances. For reasonably low frequencies at least, approximately double amplitude will be obtained when a defined low impedance generator is used to feed a high impedance load. This requires attention, as neglecting it may allow excessive voltages to be applied to the circuit under test.