Voltage on the chassis

rockford

Joined Oct 28, 2009
I replace a power relay and an e-cap on the board to my oven. The oven now heats properly but I'm getting some voltage on the stove top only when the oven is on. Its around 24VAC. When the replay engages it goes to around 13. Could it be shorted through the power transformer? The wires coming off the board go to the heating elements. Going into the board is the red,black,common and the ground. If I disconnect the ground, the current is still there. Any ideas?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Chances are that something unobvious is making an electrical contact. The voltage could become lethal at any time, especially as the whole chassis should be tied to earth ground, and so unable to carry a potential.

You have a fault from the repair - possibly some terminal in contact with the chassis. Look closely at the board mount to see where this could happen, or take it loose and keep it insulated with paper to see if that cures the problem in that area.

Much more importantly - find out why the wiring to your oven does not make a solid connection between earth ground and the chassis. Leaving this condition unattended could result in death. If you are not experienced in working on electrical service in the home, call an electrician.