Voltage Multiplier (Frequency Mixer)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by blah2222, Jan 2, 2012.

  1. blah2222

    Thread Starter Distinguished Member

    May 3, 2010
    Hi all, quick question. In class last term we had learned about how signal transmission worked through modulation/demodulation of frequency responses. Anyway, in order to shift the frequency responses we learned that this can be done by multiplying the signal by a sinusoid (generated by an oscillator).

    My question is, what is the circuit that is used to multiply the signal of interest by the oscillator's sinusoid to shift the frequency response into the FM/AM band?

    We were just shown the black box but I am just curious.

  2. crutschow


    Mar 14, 2008
    For AM you can use an analog multiplier or non-linear mixer circuit.

    For FM you need an FM Modulator, a type of voltage controlled oscillator.