Voltage divider Q

protomor

Joined Dec 23, 2008
If I use an R1 resistor of 100 ohms and an R2 resistor of 200 ohms, I get 6v from a 9v source (for example). The equation becomes (200/300)*9. or 2/3 of the voltage in (12v in would give 8v out; in this scenario).

Since the ratio is what gives the over all output. What (other than heat) would be the down sides of using 2k ohms and 1k ohms? Or 20k ohms and 10k ohms? or even 1 ohm and 2 ohms?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Typically, the values of resistors in a voltage divider circuit are chosen to keep the current consumption of the circuit to a minimum without compromising the reliable function of the overall circuit in which the voltage divder is being used.

hgmjr

protomor

Joined Dec 23, 2008
so lower the better.

Can you give an example of what compromising the reliable function of the overall circuit would be?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
so lower the better.
Lower current consumption from the power source is generally desireable. Lower current consumption corresponds to higher values of resistance.

Can you give an example of what compromising the reliable function of the overall circuit would be?
One example is the bias network on the input of an common-emitter transistor amplifier. If the values of the resistors are too low then the effective input impedance to the amplifier is lower which is generally undesireable. If the values of the resistors are chosen too high then changes in the base current of the transistor will have a greater influence the bias voltage setpoint.

hgmjr

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It will work if the "load" has a very high resistance.
With low resistance the voltage wil change.

Here is an example without and with load.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

protomor

Joined Dec 23, 2008
so bertus, in your example how would you get it back to 8v? use 1k and 2k instead of 100 and 200?

@hgmjr. that example kinda went over my head. I don't know what a bias network is or an emitter transistor amplifier. I'm really new to this.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you change the voltage divider to 1 and 2 Ohm the voltage will go back to 8 Volts.
This will give a lot of current in the divider that is converted to heat and will shorten battery life.

Greetings,
Bertus

protomor

Joined Dec 23, 2008
I think I get it.

Lowering the resistance values in a voltage divider raises consumption while higher resistance lowers consumption.

So, generally, you want to use higher valued resistors unless (like in Bertus' example) it disrupts the circuits normal function.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I think I get it.

Lowering the resistance values in a voltage divider raises consumption while higher resistance lowers consumption.

So, generally, you want to use higher valued resistors unless (like in Bertus' example) it disrupts the circuits normal function.
It sounds like you have grasped the concept.

Study and practice DC circuit analysis to explore the topic in greater depth.

hgmjr

protomor

Joined Dec 23, 2008
wow that sounds like a great idea if I ever run into that problem. I just looked up opamps and it sounds really useful.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Keep in mind that opamps can only deliver upto 50 mA
(depending on the type, take a look at the datasheets).

Greetings,
Bertus