Voltage, current and a inductor

ECM

Joined Jan 3, 2009
Just wondering what happens to current through a inductor if AC voltage is changed.

I know ohms law says current should go down as voltage goes up. But is this true with a pure AC inductive circuit, say like a coil on a relay or solenoid. Thanks

ECM

Joined Jan 3, 2009
Hello,

Take a look at this page of the AAC eBook on AC inductor circuits :
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_3/2.html

Greetings,
Bertus

I'm not sure if that answers my question. Or at least I don't know how to use the equation to answer my question. I have looked at that section of the website dealing with AC inductors before.

What I was looking for is if you apply 24 VAC to a relay coil the inrush current will be let say 500mA.

If you then applied 30 VAC to the same relay coil would the inrush current be less then 500mA, as ohms law suggests. Or would it be more than 500mA. And perhaps why.

I know I seen this discussed on the forum in a differant thread, I have searched for that information but can not seem to find it. There is a lot of talk having to do with current lagging voltage in inductors which I understand. But can make no sense of differant voltages applied, and how it will affect the initial or holding currrents.

So if someone could help me out with this I would greatly appriciate it.

Last edited: