voltage controlled switch

Northtexasengineer

Joined Apr 3, 2010
I need some help buiding voltage controlled switch of solar panel of trucks battery charger. I have come up with schematic, but i have hard time figuring up what to use as control switch. The solar panel must continually provide power to batteries so our controlled switched should be able to turn on and off.

Oussou!

Northtexasengineer

Joined Apr 3, 2010
I mean i have some idea that using LM311 as comparator will work as industry standard, but i'm not sure what to use as controller! My schematic is nothing more than Op-Am
Any idea Ken?
Thank you!

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
So, what is it exactly that you want to do?

Disconnect the solar panel when there isn't enough sunlight to charge the battery?

Disconnect/dump the solar panel when the battery is charged enough?

Northtexasengineer

Joined Apr 3, 2010
I want to switch off the solar panel when battery is fully charge. The controlled switch must also be able to be turn on when battery is idle at night time.
Thank you!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I want to switch off the solar panel when battery is fully charged.
OK. Usually the way that is handled is either the charge voltage is "clamped" to a certain level, the panel is altogether disconnected from the battery, and/or the solar panel output is "dumped" to ground.

The controlled switch must also be able to be turn on when battery is idle at night time.
I don't understand what you are attempting to convey.

Northtexasengineer

Joined Apr 3, 2010
So, what is it exactly that you want to do?

Disconnect the solar panel when there isn't enough sunlight to charge the battery?

Disconnect/dump the solar panel when the battery is charged enough?
I want a solar to be swicth off when there isn't enough sunlight to charge battery.
Thank you
Oussou!

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
In the simplest system a diode is used so that current doesn't flow back through the cell at night. You lose 0.7V but it's nice and easy.