voltage booster to fixed 5.0 volt

caleb7777

Joined May 10, 2009
I would like to make a small 5v voltage regulator. I bought some small powered speakers and I realized that if they were wireless, they would seriously kick ass. I want to incorporate a small 5.8ghz receiver into each but I need 5.0 volts for that. The speakers have 3xAAA already built in and I would like to keep that power supply. So I need to go from 4.5ish volts to 5.0

I found this booster which is nice but it is rated 200mA max and I need 300 maybe 400. For now I was just going to use 2 of those in parallel, which should be great.

http://www.active-robots.com/products/components/5v-boost-regulator.shtml

Can I build something like this to handle a little more power easily?

When I finish my project and if it works good I will share my schematics for the wireless system.

Last edited:

spacewrench

Joined Oct 5, 2009
The circuit for that little regulator is pretty simple; why not just pick a slightly beefier controller from On Semi? I checked their parametric search, and the NCP1421 looks like it would work. (I haven't used it, though, so there might be something wonky about it. But they offer samples, so it'd be easy & cheap enough to try...)

caleb7777

Joined May 10, 2009
Thanks for the tip, that ic looked good but I can't find it anywhere except from on Semi and they want 40$ shipping for a sample.

Any other ideas for a boost regulator from 3xAAA to 5.0v anyone?

The TPS61240 would be perfect but it is way too small to work on. It's a micro micro. Wish there was a bigger one.
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps61241.pdf

spacewrench

Joined Oct 5, 2009
The TPS61240 would be perfect but it is way too small to work on. It's a micro micro.
I've never designed anything with the BGA-style package, but the QFN is easily doable with a hotplate SMD soldering setup. I don't know that I'd have much success with a board that had more than 2-3 QFN packages, but with only one, you shouldn't have any trouble.

caleb7777

Joined May 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice, but I don't have a board to put the ic onto. I am looking for something I can attach wires to.

caleb7777

Joined May 10, 2009
Thanks spacewrench, that is PERFECT, if all goes well and I build more I will get those. Exactly what I'll need for this.