Voice recorder/playback

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hello,

I've been making a simple voice record/playback project the past few weeks and I cannot decided on what memory to use.
The recorder basically consists of a microphone and amplifier fed into an atmega328 ADC and the playback consists of a 74hc595 (SPI) into an 8 bit r/2r DAC + amp.

I have everything set up except of the memory.

Which memory is suitable for this task?

I considered using EEPROM at first but decided on using an SD card. After a week of hair-pulling failure to interface the SD card with the avr I want to reconsider my choice.

This is the first time i'm making something like this so i'm not shooting for high performance. A 4kS/s sampling rate should be fine I think. That's 4000 x 8 bits = 4k bytes of data per second that I need to write to the memory.

The size of the memory isn't much of an issue. I'll be satisfied if I can get at least 3 seconds with a 4kS/s sampling rate.

Anyone have any suggestions?
SPI is preferable.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You can still find some RAM in a 16K x 8 bit size, but the larger you go in RAM the less useful it becomes as it gets geared towards PC memory uses.

SD cards are still the best choice for nearly infinite storage.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I already checked , can't find any serial Ram chips in my local shop. Oh well i'm probably going to try the parallel Ram chips and then eventually hop back into the SD/MMC train.
Thanks for the help