Voice Notification possible?

ckchew8

Joined Oct 2, 2009
hello there everyone! I'm new here and i hope to get along with you all^^...anyway, i have this task which is:
Voice notification when a drink is selected at a vending machine.For instance, at a drink vending machine, when i select coke as my option, it's suppose to say "Coke Selected".

i have a few ideas running in my mind:
1) Is there anyway for me to store a prerecorded voice in a PIC and play it out using a speaker without interfacing to the laptop.Just simple PIC-Speaker control...

2) i have an option of interfacing the PIC where the PIC is used to handle external triggers such as the buttons at the vending machine. What i propose to do is when a drink is selected, the external trigger will trigger the PIC to send a message to the laptop to play a prerecorded sound file.

which is the simplest,cheapest and most effective method? or are there simpler alternatives which is not listed...pls do advice!thanx in advance!

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I think a PC would be an expensive solution for a vending machine. You can store a recorded voice in an external EEPROM memory and then read its content with the PIC.

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
you can do audio playback with FPGAs as well - the files are stored in external memory.

altera has good examples on their website.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
This is not as difficult as you may have imagined. There are ICs that have just about everything you need in 1 IC. Add a mic to record (Or other input type) and a speaker or amp to playback, and the act of recording and storage are done on the chip.

They have a select pin that can playback the recorded sounds, or more advanced units have addressable areas for different samples.