Visual C++ reference.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Know any good online resources. I'm reading Ivor Horton's "Beginning Visual C++ 2005" 16 greuling chapters down, and I still don't have the simple solution I'm looking for. Basically, I want to create a simple interface with multiple textual output areas into which I can direct text that originates on three seperate inputs to the program.

Thanks!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If you're gone thru 16 chapters on Visual C++ and still can't get a textbox to display text then perhaps you should switch to Visual Basic.

It's also a freebie to download and it has a much milder learning curve then C++ does, though it lacks the "glamor" of a C project.

It's my first choice for producing programs at my job.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If you're gone thru 16 chapters on Visual C++ and still can't get a textbox ...
It's my first choice for producing programs at my job.
It's a long story. The first 10 chapters are a review of C++ ( I took it about 15 years ago, needed the review ) Then the next 6 chapters illustrate VC++ by building an application. It's nowhere near the kind of app I need, but I went through the exercise anyway. I chose a bad book to lear from, but I have all this investment and just want to cut to a simple solution now.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'm going to try to use a dialog and edit box. It can be created with "read only" attribute and used to output data. If I create multiple boxes in a dialog, then I think I can use them the way I've specivied. Here is some data on edit boxes: http://www.functionx.com/visualc/controls/edit.htm

Please tell me if you think there is a better way. Otherwise, I'm gonna charge down this path.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Now, I think I had a completely wrong idea of how to use VCPP for test program development. I was thinking I'd have to use a edit box of a form for text output, but what I was missing is I can combine text and graphics for an integrated user interface, which displays all the important data in designated and labeled text interfaces, which I can create using graphic elements. Here is my first attempt to create a simple interface ( unwhelming, I'm sure since it's primative at this time ) I don't have all the elements perfectly aligned just yet, and I had to block out some sensitive information so I could share it, but what I hope to illustate is how a smple interface can be created using VCPP, and not needing to resort to forms, which are a little too restrictive. So... now that I am beginning to understand how to use the tools, I can try to perfect the interface, and hopefully create a test panel that's intuitive and efficient for the user.

Thanks to all who have commented.

Attachments

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Get a MSDN subscription. Download sample sources + look at them.
Buy some 20+ books. Experiment. Read through the documentation (MSDN online) and what's included into installation.

Visual Studio is quite powerful.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have just about everything I need now to create functional test interfaces. The last pieces were to create graphical controls, pushbuttons, sliders, etc, and to split the screen for the purpose of adding views to the interface for displaying data is various forms ( ie, graphical vs. text ) It took some work to get the split screen sutff to work correctly, but I finall achieved that mere minutes ago. Now, I can begin development in earnest.

PS: In case you're wondering, I know I could have defaulted to forms for this effort, but for now, I think using MFC graphical API's allows me to create exactly what I want.