+Vin and -Vin

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by new2circuits, Apr 23, 2009.

1. new2circuits

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2009
    HI: Can someone explain the whole +Vin and -Vin concept as it relates to a differential input to an op amp for instance or any device that accepts a dual supply?
    Thanks

2. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    If an opamp or comparator has a positive and negative supply then the input and the output can be at 0VDC and the signal will swing positive and negative without coupling capacitors.

3. StayatHomeElectronics

Distinguished Member

Sep 25, 2008
    A differential input circuit is one that actively responds to the difference between two terminals rather than the difference between one terminal and ground.

The +Vin and -Vin are defined as the differential inputs of the op amp. The output of an op amp is the gain, A, multiplied by the difference of +Vin and -Vin.

Output = A * ((+Vin) - (-Vin))

In the case of an op amp the gain A is usually very high and therefore feedback is placed around the op amp to control it.

The differential inputs are independent of whether or not the device accepts a dual supply. The idea of dual supply is explained in #2 by Audioguru.

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I read the question too fast.

5. new2circuits

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Thanks to both of you for your response. I appreciate it.

Looks like I need to go back to basics and understand the concept of dual supply and +Vin -Vin a bit more. I studied ee a long time ago, but never really used it until now. I'm finding it difficult to come back up to speed, so I appreciate you getting me there via your answers. Thanks

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Ground can also be a designated reference point, as long as it is low impedance (ie, high current).