Video Signal from Polyphonic Oscillator with CMOS 4046 & 4051

wilsont

Joined Oct 12, 2012
Hi All,

I'm approaching electronics from more of the music angle so forgive me in advance if this comes across as very basic.

I have built a ring-modulated polyphonic oscillator using two phase-lock loop chips (CMOS 4046 & 4051). I wanted to try to make a powerhouse audiovisual instrument and am curious if anyone knows of a way to generate a video signal from these two chips. As of now, I am using a 50K pot as a portamento/LFO control and a 1M pot to control frequency. It would be nice if these two controls could also manipulate video synthesis parameters on some sort of video synthesizer built into the same circuit. Has anyone had experience with these chips and video? Or would I most likely need to build in another circuit into the device?

Happy to clarify if this doesn't make much sense...

Thanks!

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Hi All,

I'm approaching electronics from more of the music angle so forgive me in advance if this comes across as very basic.

I have built a ring-modulated polyphonic oscillator using two phase-lock loop chips (CMOS 4046 & 4051). I wanted to try to make a powerhouse audiovisual instrument and am curious if anyone knows of a way to generate a video signal from these two chips. As of now, I am using a 50K pot as a portamento/LFO control and a 1M pot to control frequency. It would be nice if these two controls could also manipulate video synthesis parameters on some sort of video synthesizer built into the same circuit. Has anyone had experience with these chips and video? Or would I most likely need to build in another circuit into the device?

Happy to clarify if this doesn't make much sense...

Thanks!
You're right,it doesn't make sense!
What you can do is insert the signal you have created as video into,for analog,a circuit which can produce blanking & syncs,or do the equivalent process for digital video.

What you get will look like you are doing a frequency sweep test on the video system,but
using random frequencies-----hardly"a powerhouse audiovisual instrument"!

wilsont

Joined Oct 12, 2012
You're right,it doesn't make sense!
What you can do is insert the signal you have created as video into,for analog,a circuit which can produce blanking & syncs,or do the equivalent process for digital video.

What you get will look like you are doing a frequency sweep test on the video system,but
using random frequencies-----hardly"a powerhouse audiovisual instrument"!
Yes, I did mean the term "powerhouse" lightly :p

I just wanted something that would generate a video signal in a somewhat interesting manner. You approach sounds interesting—I just have a few more questions.

Would I need to manipulate an existing video signal? Or would the signal coming through produce anything visually interesting?

Can the CMOS 4046 or 4051 chips be used to produce some sort of video signal?

A point of reference for what I'm trying to get out of it, would be something like the Synchronator: http://www.synchronator.com/stills.html

This is just a box where you put in an audio signal, a video synth results. I wanted to create something that's a bit more 'integerated'

Thanks for your help!