Vibration sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaat82

Joined Jun 17, 2011
Hello,

I want some input/help for the following.
I want to build a device that can be attached to any surface.
When this surface makes a vibration, I want to make sure a beeper will go off and a LED will be lit for some time.
It has to be adjustable for the right condition (for example, I want to make sure it can't go off from a small vibration if I need to).
The device must be battery powered with an on/off switch.

The sensor.

I have searched for some sensors/switches like mercury, tilt, accelerometer etc.
But it should work no matter what angle the device is placed.
So I guess the best option is a piezo LTD0 or something similar.

The LED

I want it to behave like seen on the Monostable multivibrators page.
http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/04203.png
So when a vibration takes place, it should glow for at least X-seconds after that.

The beeper

I want the beeper to go off for at least 0.5 - 1 second for every vibration.
If the vibration continous, the beeper should also sound continous.
The type of beeper isn't that important right now, but it should make a simple tone with a volume that should wake you up.

I've searched the internet for a full day and found some examples like the Shock alarm circuit or car/window alarms and those electric drums.
But to be honest, I don't have the basic knowledge to make something like this on my own.
I can solder a bit, but that's it.

So in short, I'm looking for a push in the right direction so I can learn it and build it eventually on my own.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Start by getting the datasheet for the sensor. That will tell you what to expect from it and what it will give for an output. You must use the output to set a switch to "on" for a second for each activation. A 555 timer might do this for you if you wire it as a "one-shot" and allow the piezo to trigger it over and over again. The CMOS type of 555 timers use less current and so can be battery operated.

I'm sure there are other ways, but here's a start.

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi blaat82.

I would use a piezo transducer to sense the vibration, and connect it to a 555 timer as #12 suggested. A basic circuit would look something like this:

Instead of connecting the output of the 555 to an LED, you could connect it to another 555 timer for the beeper.
Der Strom

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
here is a transistorized system i think would work using a piazo,9 v battery, transistor,led,buzzer,potentiometer, scr. most of these except for the peaso you should be able to find at radioshack.

by adjusting the potometer you should be able to vary the sensitivity of the detector (this should be a failry low ohm potameter because peazos only make a litle bit of power i would use a potometer und3er 100 ohms.

sorry the schematic is incomplete because i could find no info about scrs. this could be a good start though

blaat82

Joined Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for all your info people!
This gives me a good idea of how to assemble it.

I'm currently looking for some sensors, since the piezo film vibra tab isn't easy to get.
On the other hand, a piezo transducer, like mentioned above, should work also and is sold at most shops.

My local shop has 2 similar sensors:

B200 Motion Detecting Catch Sensor
(Detects vibration omni-directionally)
http://www.fuji-piezo.com/B22_Tilt.htm

or

360 omnidirectional vibration sensor
JWR-001(High sensitive) available in middle and low.
http://www.jingleworld.com.tw/products_360_en.htm

Would these be suitable or should I go for the piezo transducers?

elvieque

Joined Sep 25, 2014
Hi, I am interested in your project. I'm curious if you accomplished this project, because I'm making a vibration device too related to your project. So I am hoping if you could help with my project.

Well, my objective is to make a device that will detect the vibration of a surface in a building construction. I have two options for my hardware design:
1. Is to use a led, and just like your project, it will turn on automatically when vibration is being detected.
2. Is to use a graphical lcd, which will show the active vibration level through wave signal.

I hope you could read this as soon as possible, and you could help me with my project. Thanks :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

Congratulations, you have practiced the arcane art of necromancy, the revival of a long dead thread. Likely the OP (Original Poster) has solved his problem in the years that has passed, or thrown it away, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.