Vibration Sensor Circuit Help

wdmccall

Joined Oct 22, 2010
Hey, I just started a new project and was wondering if I could get a little help. I'm creating a device that goes on the end of a baseball/softball bat that counts the number of times the bat hits a ball.
I was thinking about using a suspended lever arm pedometer action, where the lever is suspended by a spring but the bat won't be in the correct position for the lever to work properly every time so I'm guessing a vibration sensor adjusted somehow to only pickup frequences in a certain range(bat contacting ball) would be more proficient and durable. I will need a numercial counter to display the number of times the bat hits a ball. Will I need to have a custom micro circuit built for this project?

Thanks for the help!

Wes

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Is your intent to have the vibration sensor (good choice), counter, and battery mounted on the bat? Or, just the sensor, with a cable to the counter and battery?

Ken

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Google for "DIY electronic drum kit".

I have seen some drum projects that would use comparable technology. Normally they glue a piezo disk to a hard object, and have simple electronics that easily detect when the hard object is whacked with a drum stick.

I also agree with KMoffett about the electronics being fragile. I would put them in a belt pack and run a small wire and plug from the bat. The bat only needs to have the piezo sensor mounted on it, and the sensor is quite sensitive it could be mounted near the handle away from the impact zone.

wdmccall

Joined Oct 22, 2010
What about a motion sensor/accelometer type device attached with the lcd (like a watch) to put on your wrist so when your hands speed up to hit a ball it would readout on the lcd?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
What about a motion sensor/accelometer type device attached with the lcd (like a watch) to put on your wrist so when your hands speed up to hit a ball it would readout on the lcd?
The OP said they wanted to count the number of times the bat "hits" the ball. Maybe you could interpret the impact transmitted to the wrist.

Ken

Last edited: