very..VERY simple circuits help

Ravingmad

Joined Jul 6, 2013
hello. i want to build some very simple circuits as a start.
first circuits would be a light bulb that can be turned on/off after receiving a one time current.
example : i exposed the circuit to a 1.5 volts for 5 seconds . light goes on, then i exposed it to the same amount of voltage for 5 seconds, lights goes off.

any idea on how to build that. i tried to google but i seriously don't know the name of it or where to start.

another circuit is one that triggers another circuit. an example :
i have small light censor that i want to attach it to my room's light so when it is dark the light goes on(obviously the censor will be outside to prevent the whole thing from keep going on and off).
the problem is the small censor can't handle 220 volt, so i want it to "trigger" something to light the room's light .

i still have some basic things in mind i will askw hen i get some answers on those :).
thanks very much for your time reading this. hopefully you might be able to help.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Tell us more about yourself...

where you live....going to school ?.....etc.....ever worked with electricity before?
Any other helpers that might assist you?
D.

You could use a simple RC circuit and a transistor for your time-delayed light switch. Becomes a bit more involved if you want to toggle on/off with a single input. Probably a cocktail of a digital chip or two. Something to flip. The guys here will have a million and one solutions to offer you, build them all and run for it with the cheapest solution that satisfies your requirements.

As for your light sensor, the first thought is a comparator circuit of some sort.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
example : i exposed the circuit to a 1.5 volts for 5 seconds . light goes on, then i exposed it to the same amount of voltage for 5 seconds, lights goes off.
The name of this type of circuit is called Flip Flop or bi-stable circuits.

it sounds like you're very new to electronics and electricity. I would suggest you start with lighting up a LED using 6V battery first before you attempt to handle AC mains voltages which is very dangerous for a beginner...

another circuit is one that triggers another circuit. an example :

i have small light censor that i want to attach it to my room's light so when it is dark the light goes on(obviously the censor will be outside to prevent the whole thing from keep going on and off).
the problem is the small censor can't handle 220 volt, so i want it to "trigger" something to light the room's light .
Same as the first answer. You can use the light sensor to conduct a transistor or a comparator like LM393. The comparator output would light a LED. As how to control a light bulb, why not wait till you gain more experience with low voltage first, then we'll tell you how to do it......:D

Allen

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And I would look as using a relay to control the lightbulb - that way the mains circuit and your sensor circuit never come into electrical contact with each other. Not the only (or necessarily the cheapest or best) way, but it is one of the safer ways for a beginner -- and it is pretty good and fairly cheap.

Ravingmad

Joined Jul 6, 2013
Tell us more about yourself...

where you live....going to school ?.....etc.....ever worked with electricity before?
Any other helpers that might assist you?
D.

Hello :).
i never really worked with electricity before, i still go to school and i really got to like electronic as a hobby, i just bought a test board and i will get anything else i need off my HUGE collection of old used electronics.

thanks for anyone that helped.
another circut would be a circut that goes on/off using the same push button.
push 1 = on
push again = off.
thanks.