Velleman MK-103 for strobe light

ronc

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Maddie is probably short for Madeline (various spellings) or Madison or possibly a couple of other female names so I'm thinking she not he.

If I were trying to make an interactive art exhibit using a sound activated LED gimmick, I'd try to have several with different sensitivities to volume and frequency. If I were trying to do it quick, I might just buy a bunch of the Velleman sound to light kits (MK-103) and modify them; change the number and color of LEDs, remote mount the LEDs, use a capacitor to passively modify the frequency response, etc.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350678

Velleman MK-103 schematic.
Hello, I was hoping someone can help me with this.. I just bought a MK-103 tonight to run a flash (strobe light) for my camera.. any reason why this should not work? What I want it to do is pop the flash off. I don't need all 4 LED's but one would be nice for testing.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's been awhile since I've had a flash attachment, but if I remember correctly, shorting the terminals together causes the unit to flash. Is that the case with yours?

What voltage do you measure across the flash terminals when it's ready to flash, but not shorted?

ronc

Joined Oct 8, 2011
I didn't check the voltage yet. I have about 6 flash's and 4 studio lights so I'm hoping to find something under 10v. And yes, when you short the contacts the flash will pop. if I need to I can also run this wireless and that would be <1v to trigger.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I'm not sure how the sound to light kit came into this. Are you trying to make a sound activated flash trigger?

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
KJ6EAD,
That's what I'm understanding that they want to do, along with retaining 1 LED to flash as a debugging aid.

R9 will need to be increased in value to around 560 Ohms.

It might be as easy as connecting T4's emitter/collector junction across the flash terminals, but we don't know if there is a voltage there at the moment.

It would be safer to use a separate transistor with a base resistor.

ronc

Joined Oct 8, 2011
I'm not sure how the sound to light kit came into this. Are you trying to make a sound activated flash trigger?
Yup, That would be it.. I want to do a few hi speed shots. Most of what I'm doing will make some kind of sound so I figured this may be a good option..

I'm thinking I will probably go wireless. I only have one transmitter now but they are kinda cheap and have a test button I can work off of. I'm guessing the trigger voltage would be in the <500mv range but my battery is dead so I can't test the 23a.. the triggers are PT-04's

http://dptnt.com/2010/05/diy-radiopopper-px/