Velleman Lab Units

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Has anyone ever seen any Velleman equipment?

I was looking at them and wondering if they were inexpensive or the other kind of inexpensive that makes you wish you had spent a little more.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Their soldering station is pretty bad. While it works all is good, but they go out within a year, or weeks.

I have a power supply made by them, 0-15V and 0-3A. They have several makes, one with analog meters and one with digital meters. Around 7V you can hear the unit switch inside for efficiency in voltage regulation. The digital meters drift a couple of 10's as the power supply warms up. If you try to use the constant current mode for LEDs and connect the output to the LEDs with voltage present the capacitors on the unit will blow the LEDs up. If you short the PS first to put it in constant current mode this won't happen.

Overall, I rate them as low to medium Chinese junk. If the use is critical don't buy it, but OK for hobbyist use.

Last edited:

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I was hoping I could learn that type of info here. I was not going to buy unless I got some good reports, but the temptations are all gone now.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would agree with Bill's opinion.

I would have no problem buying a little kit for a niece or nephew, but I wouldn't use their test or bench equipment.

I bought and built their K8048 PIC programmer years ago. It was a fun little kit to solder together and get the smell of flux in the air.. It even works. but it is REALLY NOT WORTH IT.