Vaseline

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Vaseline is one of my favorite things in the shop. I keep a syringe with Vaseline in it with a large gauge needle with the tip ground blunt. Use it to inject some Vaseline where you need it (set it in the sun for a while to soften things up). I use it on fastener threads and when tapping. It's dynamite for kitchen drawer rollers -- and lasts for years. It's just the thing for door hinges -- lasts a lot longer than mineral oil based oils that gum up after a while.

Smear it on where you don't want paint, epoxy, or solder to stick.

Every woman in the world knows to put Vaseline on the bottle threads of nail polish to keep things from sticking. This works great in the shop too -- I think my favorite use is on the threads of those cans of PVC cement that seem to be designed to dry out and stick. Use it to stop sticking and put enough on to make a good seal. I've got a can of cement I've opened and sealed many times over the past couple of years.

When you're done with a tube of caulking, silicone sealant, etc., suck the material back into the tube a ways then put a dab of Vaseline on your finger and plug up the hole or the caulk tip. When you need to use that tube a year from now, just squeeze out the Vaseline onto a paper towel and you're back where you started. I wish I had thought of this decades ago so I didn't have to throw out so many dried tubes...

By the way, to get the Vaseline into the syringe, pack it in with a Popsicle stick. Then heat it in the steam from a teapot to melt it -- this lets you squeeze out the excess air.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've suspected lip balm is modified vasoline. I use lip balm when my nose starts getting cracked up. I use a Q-Tip to apply it inside my nose, where it does for it what it does for my lips. Betcha Vasoline would work too.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Just had a look at Wikipedia, it's probably best not to stick it up your nose:

Improper uses

• Petroleum jelly weakens latex condoms, increasing the chance of rupture.

I used to use it on the threads of the lids of beer pressure barrels which seemed to help get a better seal.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So did they mention lip balm? I'd always assumed they were the same thing.

When I was very young and had trouble breathing my mom would rub some under my nose and on my chest. I believe the label says this use I OK. It would free up my breathing a lot.

Like lip balm, putting a thin layer will put an end to cracking and bleeding inside the nose, along with the painful scabs caused by it. I'll live with the risk, it is not like it is needed constantly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaseline

Last edited:

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I've gone through plenty of Vaseline when working with hydraulics. Excellent for O rings.
Be careful -- find out the type of rubber, as Vaseline will attack some rubber o-rings. Viton and Buna-n are probably OK though.

TBayBoy's warning is a good one, although I would expect most adults already probably know it. Pressurized oxygen and greases/oils are a definite no-no because of the risk of spontaneous combustion or an explosion (which is just a fast form of combustion). However, you younger folks reading this board may not know it, so file it away for future reference.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I will leave that for some one else that knows the difference.
You would not take my answer serious until you use the wrong type
oil and get a big surprise,If no one else knows ,more surprises.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Ok, one suggested seal incompatibility. I've used it with Viton/BunaN/Silicone, typical industrial applications. Another suggests oil incompatibility. I've it with petroleum based, synthetic esters, and water based glycols.

If either of you have a known incompatibility, it would sure help to mention it to avoid potential problems.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I've used it with cheap o-rings in water-based systems and have seen the o-rings degrade. I don't know what type of rubber these o-rings were, as I didn't buy them. For such information, it's good to check o-ring manufacturer's information (e.g., Parker), as IIRC, I've seen chemical compatibility information there (this was 20-40 years ago when I was designing stuff, so it might all be dumbed down now).

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I will leave that for some one else that knows the difference.
You would not take my answer serious until you use the wrong type
oil and get a big surprise,If no one else knows ,more surprises.
Well I'll admit that my experience is with industrial hydraulics, some instrumentation and a bit of automotives mixed in, and the world is so much bigger. So with that in mind, and for the added value of the viewers, wouldn't it be at least polite to provide them some info, rather than hold back on my sake?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ GetDeviceInfo,,You know hydraulics Is a car jack with power,Its when more power
Is applied that the pressure become important,not many surprises
there until a load drop unexpectedly,a death trap. There has to be more
oil guys on line or do you want me to fall in the well for a laugh.
Get Info that your name. I have a loosewire.
I do have a story to tell and It's good information
for the uninformed.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Externet Off-Topic 3