Varying voltage from a sensor into a PIC16F887 and store it

quantumlab

Joined Dec 4, 2008
Hi,
i am currently trying to input a varying voltage from a sensor into a PIC and store it in its memory. I am using PIC16F887. What would be the simpliest way of achieving our goal using assembly code? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Apply the voltage to a PIC pin that can be configured as an input to the internal A to D converter (assuming there is one). Convert that input as often as needed.

quantumlab

Joined Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for the reply. What code do i need to 'convert the input as many times as needed'? What code do i need to store the values at say twice a second?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If my catalog is correct, the PIC you have has an A to D converter with 12 inputs. The relevant section in the manual for the 16F887 will tell you how to select an input pin and configure it as an input to the A to D. It will also tell you what the command is to do a conversion. After that, it is just a matter of storing the value.

As to the time, there is another section that describes internal timer operation. Set on up to give interrupts at your desired interval. Do the conversion in the interrupt routine.

boff1

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hi,
This is something I have done many times with a pic16f887. I use Jal compiler and can let you have code examples if you wish. I don't code in C or ASM.

cheers

quantumlab

Joined Dec 4, 2008
Hi i have written the following code to recieve an analog input and store it in the general file registers. I am unsure yet as to what is involved with the interupt. I would like to simulate the code on MPLAB SIM. THe code is quickbuilding succesfully but when i simulate it i get the following error:

ADC-W0008: No stimulus file attached to ADRESL for A/D.

The code is shown below. Any help would be great

list p = 16f887
#include<p16f887.inc>
RESULTHI EQU 20 ;First counter
RESULTLO EQU 21 ; Second Counter
ORG 4 ; Interrupt vector address
ORG 5 ; Start of program memory
BANKSEL ADCON1 ;
CLRF TRISA
MOVLW B'10000000' ;right justify
MOVWF ADCON1 ;Vdd and Vss as Vref
BANKSEL TRISA ;