Variac leads?

skoot66

Joined Aug 11, 2013
I have a variac, but the only output connection is a standard plug. I need to run power to a circuit board. Can I just take an extension cord, cut off the male plug, and attach alligator clips to the wires?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
This site definitely does not recommend using alligator clips in this manner.

There are proper temporary connection methods

Keynector
Safebloc

amongst others.

Relayer

Joined Jan 1, 2013
I have a variac, but the only output connection is a standard plug. I need to run power to a circuit board. Can I just take an extension cord, cut off the male plug, and attach alligator clips to the wires?
Most Variac's are NOT isolated types and I would think twice about using it to power up a circuit board.
Regards,
Relayer :D:D:D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I suspect that a plug on a Variac is not an output, but the input.
Yes, I expect he meant "socket" :p

You haven't mentioned what this circuit board is for. You usually shouldn't connect a variac to a professionally-manufactured board, as they are not designed for such a huge variation in voltage. You could very easily destroy it.

We really need more information before we can help you further.

Matt

skoot66

Joined Aug 11, 2013
The boards are all part of an audio amplifier project. I need to test my power supply boards, as well as the amplifier boards. I will need to run 110v to the power supply boards and 63v to the amplifier boards to test them. The amp is dual mono, both boards are running of 45v secondaries of individual toroidal transfos.

Meixner

Joined Sep 26, 2011
As Relayer said most Varaics are not isolated, You stand a good chance of frying your boards if you connect them directly to a Varaic.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Applying a reduced voltage via a variac to a circuit is a common and reasonable service or development technique to reduce the chances of catastrophic failure due to circuit malfunction.

It must be carried out safely, however.

Further it will not work with all types of circuit. Many require the correct AC input voltage.

The type of socket outlet does not determine the available current.
This should be stated by the manufacturer since it is a function of winding wire characteristics, and should not be exceeded. The max power (VA really) available is the product of the max dial voltage and max current. Remember the max dial voltage may be higher than the mains input.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
testing the power supply section on the AC INPUT SIDE will be ok with your variac but DO NOT connect it to the amplifier board direct as you will damage the board as it requires a dc supply not an ac supply,unless you are VERY CAREFUL and connect it via the rectifier ip on the amp and dont turn the variac up too high....but it IS NOTat all the correct way to do this.....plus most amps may require a split rail supply.
Also remember a variac is by no means mains isolated so the normal SAFE RULES for servicing still apply and unless there is a means of safe mains isolation NO scopes to be connected if the supply is a switched mode type unless using an isolation transformer.....

skoot66

Joined Aug 11, 2013
Oh no, that's not what I meant, I should have been more clear. I will test the power supply section with power direct from the variac, then hook up the amplifier boards to the power supply boards, and test them with the power supply boards plugged into the variac.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I realise that and that's OK, provided you don't use alligator clips to the psu boards from the variac. What if they slip off and flail about?

It is easy enough to rig up (solder or whatever) some flying leads from the psu board and another flying lead from the variac and join them with a proper temporary connector eg a screw terminal block.

You have put a deal of effort into creating the boards so finish the job properly, not hastily.

I have a keynector permanently available to plug into my variac.