variable voltage charger

A.T.T.R

Joined Jun 2, 2008
trying to come up with a simple
variable voltage charger
(1-100kv)
ill post what i think will work once i make transfer it from paper to pc
but during this time can any one come up with a semi simple way to incorperate other set points such as charge to certin joules or somthing ( use some type of input to tell capacitor voltage rating and capatance then use time at a know amp and volt output to determin how long this should take)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ahhh, from 1V to 100KV? :eek:

It's not going to be simple nor cheap.

And at those kinds of voltages, it'll also be extremely dangerous.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You may also find that 100KV rated caps are not real easy to scare up. Are you aware that voltages like that can't be confined easily? Air ionizes and carries an arc with the slightest bit of humidity. It's even difficult to keep things from arcing under mineral oil in a sealed tank.

A.T.T.R

Joined Jun 2, 2008
well down to 1 volt really isnt needed and up to 100kv isnt really needed. strongest CAP i have is a 80kv 3000 joule cap estimated ( dont ask )

range that will usualy be used to 1000- 20000

i know i can buy one for this use but diying somthing is always so much more rewarding

my thought is
use a variable resistor in a voltage divider to change 30 volts to anywhere between 5- 30 volts

feed that to a comparitor and have the other input on the comparitor come from another voltage divider that connects to the + on cap.

things to stay safe include one time charging using a SCR and a spark gap in the charging line to prevent over charge if somthing goes wrong ( wont save cap but could save you)

still havent gotten around to scanning what i drew up

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
"Charge to certain Joules" is the same as charging to a given voltage, since U=(C*E^2)/2

I don't think anyone here will be able to help with "charge to certain something."

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I don't think 100KV would be practical for charging a flux capacitor. Current would have to be 1.21KA, resulting in unaesthetically large conductors.

A.T.T.R

Joined Jun 2, 2008
""Charge to certain Joules" is the same as charging to a given voltage, since U=(C*E^2)/2"

DOH LMAO that was kinda embarrassing