Variable Power Supply w/ IC Regulator

xKael

Joined Jun 30, 2010
I'm working on a project right now...

A variable power supply w/ ic regulator...

so the output voltages are 9, 6, 4, 3 and 2...

first, i want to know what IC regulator should i use...
what is it's name in them multisim...

i found this schematic diagram but i don't know if it's right and how to make it work...

where do you measure Vout? where do you put the probes of the voltmeter?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I built my own overkilled version of this around a gang of six paralleled [ massive heatsink ] LM317's for regulation and increased amp draw. W/ a DPDT-CO selection switch to choose 0-12 or 0-24v DC output [ separate transformers ] to drive a common rectifier, which is a 600v 25 amp monolithic bridge, on its own overkill heatsink, w/ a PC muffin fan.

Additionally, there are schematics in the datasheet for the LM317, that use an adequate wattage potentiometer / rheostat to control voltage output. I used a 2 watt 10 turn "clarostat" for that. I've drawn 8 amps, 10 briefly, and it doesn't even break a sweat.

Your limit is your imagination, and building skill level.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
first, i want to know what IC regulator should i use...
Look into the LM317T. It's designed specifically for this and is a very useful IC to know about.
i found this schematic diagram but i don't know if it's right and how to make it work...
That circuit is OK, but appears designed to provide preset voltages depending on which of the resistors are connected. If you use a single variable resistor, you can dial in any voltage you want. I think that's more typical of how folks use the LM317 but I suppose presets have their use, too.
where do you measure Vout? where do you put the probes of the voltmeter?
Once you've read the links and the LM317 datasheet, this should be clear.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
I just finished a bench top lab power supply kit and it uses, LM317, LM337, 7805 and 2N6124 to provide Positive and negative 1 Amp, 1.25 to 20 volt DC, Regulated 3 Amp +5 Volt, and has two 6.3 volt AC taps for a total of 12,5 volts. If you look up the Elenco Kit -XP-720K, the circuit diagram and assembly instructions are available free and if you follow it pretty closely you can build your own. It discusses biasing the LM317 and Lm337's to obtain the different linear outputs very well and the theory behind it all.
Bob

xKael

Joined Jun 30, 2010
@wayneh
Well, supposedly, the outcome are preset voltages... 9, 6, 4, 3 and 2..

Also, i have a new diagram, please check if it's better or if i should use the circuit on the 1st post...

@Rbeckett
I'm just building a simple circuit...

And a friend of mine devised this circuit... Do you think this is correct?

Here's the circuit...

[don't mind the values]