Variable frequency AC sources?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am in need of a variable frequency AC power supply. The only problem, do they exist? I need something than can go from the low Hz to about 8kHz.

I know there are Variable frequency drives, but they are expensive and don't go into the kHz range.

What ways could variable AC frequency be achieved?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I need a power supply that will give me variable frequency AC from 100Hz-8kHz. I need the output power to be at least 60VA.

I just want to know if such a device exists which could do that? Or if I should look into other options.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Use an iPod and a frequency generator app. It can easily give the frequency range you cited, with enough power to drive headphones. If you need more juice, plug the iPod into your home theater or your guitar amp or your car stereo.

[oops] Yes, you'll need an amp.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I need a power supply that will give me variable frequency AC from 100Hz-8kHz. I need the output power to be at least 60VA.

I just want to know if such a device exists which could do that? Or if I should look into other options.
Was that 60 VA @ Maximum load current of ??? Amps? That's why I said you need to be specific about your requirements.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
60VA could be generated by an oscillator to the input of a high power audio power amplifier, depending upon the load you want to drive.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
60VA could be generated by an oscillator to the input of a high power audio power amplifier, depending upon the load you want to drive.
Ok, now that makes sense. I never thought of that. Exactly what I was looking for.

I was thinking I would have to have a motor generator or something like that....What you suggested is a great idea. Thank you!

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
....Vin → NPN Bjt → Vout
...NE555..LC_↑ (F-adj)

....Vin → N type Mosfet → Vout
...NE555..LC___↑ (F-adj)

Last edited:

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Thanks for the ideas everyone.
For some reason I never thought of using an audio amp.
Anyways, should make a great benchtop variable frequency ac power supply for all kinds of experiments.