Variable DC Voltage Regulator Construction

jtarleton

Joined Sep 3, 2011
I've got a solar panel who's output is ~ 19 volts and 2 amps. I'd like to run a radio or charge my cell phone. I've got an inverter which can't handle 19 volts. So I would like to hook up a voltage regulator between the panel and the inverter, which will supply the inverter with ~12v. So I need to drop the voltage to 12v. Does anyone have an easy fix for this problem?

You might ask what's the point of the inverter, since the panel provides DC voltage. Problem is the cell phones chargers output is 5.1 vdc.

Thank You

Rent2Own

Joined Sep 2, 2011
Other, senior, members will probably advise you soon (probably with a more efficient solution). But it sounds like, as you've said, all you need is a voltage regulator? It will step the voltage down from 19v to 12v for you, also.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062600

This will probably need a heat sink, as is mentioned in the product/tech details, because it's dissipating the extra voltage. Again, this may not be the most efficient thing to do... why throw away free solar energy since that's probably your whole goal in the first place.

Last edited: