Variable DC Bench Power Supply

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I suggest you try to specify your needs a bit better. First order of business is to state what your price limit is, as that weeds out a lot of stuff.

A few years ago I got a B&K Precision 9130 power supply and it's a good power supply for an experimenter's bench. It has two 90 W, 30 V supplies that can be put in parallel to give you 31 V @ 6.2 A (and a third 6 V @ 3 A supply). The first supply, which I use for most things, has the curious nice feature of nearly always being within 1 or 2 mV of what I type in -- and the settings resolve to the nearest mV and mA.

To provide for your specs, I go into the menus and specify that channels 1 and 2 are to be connected in parallel. Then the channel 1 settings control both supplies (so there's no mucking about trying to set two supplies to the same settings). In fact, you can put all three channels in parallel for 9.3 A out at 6 volts max (the 6 volts is because that's the voltage limit of the third supply).

This is a pretty good lab supply and is a bit of a sleeper, as many folks don't know about it. A friend at B&K told me it's one of their most popular supplies.