Value:relocation register

zulfi100

Joined Jun 7, 2012
Hi,
Kindly guide me with the following question:

Consider a program with a linked origin of 5000. Let the memory area allocated to it have the start address of 70000. What value will be loaded in the relocation register?
Is the relocation register similar to base register? I donk know how the linking is done. Plz guide me.

Zulfi.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think you are going to have to provide much more specific information before we can answer this without a lot of questionable assumptions being made.

zulfi100

Joined Jun 7, 2012
okay. There is some problem in the question.
I have read about relocation register in the text book as part of MMU. This means its part of OS (similar to base register?) and has nothing to do with CPU registers??

If possible plz guide me.

Zulfi.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We don't know!!!

You are expecting use to know what YOUR text book as saying and we don't even know what the general topic is that you are talking about.

Throw us a bone!

zulfi100

Joined Jun 7, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Its in an OS book, in the memory managment chapter shown in a figure with a caption "dynamic relocation using a relocation register"

Zulfi.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well, since I don't have your OS book and therefore don't know what the context is for the figure, there's not much I can do to help. My crystal ball just isn't that good.