Value of CFL coil?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by spinnaker, Dec 30, 2010.

  1. spinnaker

    Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 29, 2009
    I thought I read somewhere that there is a coil inside the base of CFLs that can be used for projects.

    Can anyone tell me the value of this coil?

    Any tips on removing the base w/o creating a bio hazard? I understand CFLs contain mercury.
  2. edgetrigger


    Dec 19, 2010
    There will be a filtering inductor of 1milli henry and a 2-3mh ferrite core tranformer. Different configurations are used by different manufactureres.

    The coils wont be in the glass tube. It will be in the plastic shell. But you got to open it carefully. You have to figure out the screw which holds the plastic and the pcb, open that and you'll get a small pcb on which these coils will be soldered.

    Better buy an inductor than removing it from cfl.
  3. marshallf3

    Well-Known Member

    Jul 26, 2010
    Nothing wrong with taking dead CFLs apart as opposed to just throwing them away. I would however save up a few $ and buy one of those $20 hand held LC meters from eBay, considering what I had been using it's a blessing to have something that's hand held. The one I got was a Honeytek A6243L and it's rather accurate, far more than I would have believed for such a low price.

    There's far less mercury in those lamps than most might lead you to believe, you probably breathe in more from the atmosphere during a day than you'd ever get if you accidentally break the tube on one and what little is in there is in liquid rather than gaseous form, it doesn't turn into a gas until the tube is excited by the starting voltage.

    Natural volcanos and coal fired power plants contribute almost 99% of the mercury that's in our environment and for those that argue that mercury from fluorescent lamp sources is a problem never mention this.

    Another point is that the amount of power saved by using CFLs far reduces the demand on the coal fired power plants that supply a lot of the electricity we use every day. If you can get 3 years out of one then break the tube you've probably reduced the mercury input to the environment by about 1000x as opposed to having used a 100W regular incandescent lamp during that time.

    Of course around here and in many other states we use natural gas to fire our power plants and due to the constantly improving pipeline systems even more states are converting. Burning coal is great if you're making steel or in some other cases but it's hard to beat CH4 + 2*O2 = CO2 + 2*H2O.

    We're even getting a lot more CNG fueling stations around the city which is promising to me. Although conversion kits are around for CNG & LPG the only real solution is to redesign the engine such that it has the higher compression ratio necessary to produce the maximum output from these fuels, same with E85.

    So many flex fuel vehicles on the road nowadays and so few places to buy it, even then they've got it priced such that it isn't presenting any sort of incentive to buy it. As usual, the government has everything backwards. Leave our gasoline as 100% for us that need it and increase the availability of E85 stations then reduce the price to make it a far more attractive option.

    When I have to use simple E10 in my car it takes me 11% more gallons to go the same distance so I'm not only burning 1% more straight gasoline but all the ethanol is just going to waste.