Value of a capacitor

Flug540

Joined Mar 24, 2012
Hi all,

I'm reverse engineering a circuit board and not sure how to read the capacitors. The first one reads "047Z 25V", the second "1.0 25". Pictures are attached. I think the second is 1uF 25V? The first is more confusing because it has three digits, the third one as I read somewhere supposed to be the multiplier, but multiplier 7 is not defined. Is it 0.47pF?

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Good question Mr Flug. I had the same issue defining the code that is on a lot of components, especially SMD's. Any body got a link to how to interpret electronic component markings? Some are just plain cryptic and make no sense at all, almost seems just arbritrarily given a number that id's it to the manufaturer only.
Bob

Hi all,

I'm reverse engineering a circuit board and not sure how to read the capacitors. The first one reads "047Z 25V", the second "1.0 25". Pictures are attached. I think the second is 1uF 25V? The first is more confusing because it has three digits, the third one as I read somewhere supposed to be the multiplier, but multiplier 7 is not defined. Is it 0.47pF?

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks!
Flug, did you ever finish your project? I know this is 4 years later but I searched the 047z cap in google and was surprised to see you here with a Dinan T9 scaler image.

I'm working on the same thing. Just curious how far along you got?

I realize that, but the hope was that he would be notified. A PM probably would have been sufficient but I was also going to post a question shortly after. I wanted to keep that thread alive as it was an identical project, and a rare one at that. Oh well.

My question;

There are two resistors on the board.
R1 - brown, red, brown, brown, brown
Measures 1.211k
R2 - blue, blue, green, red, brown, red
Measures 66.8k

Plugged into Digi-key they sent me;
R1: 1.1k 1/4watt 1%
Measures 1.1k
R2: 66.5k 0.6watt 1%
Measures 66.5k
The colored bands do not match either of my originals. Something I'm doing wrong or not available? Thanks in advance.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I realize that, but the hope was that he would be notified. A PM probably would have been sufficient but I was also going to post a question shortly after. I wanted to keep that thread alive as it was an identical project, and a rare one at that. Oh well.

My question;

Measures 1.211k
Measures 66.8k

Measures 1.1k
Measures 66.5k
The colored bands do not match either of my originals. Something I'm doing wrong or not available? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 103371
View attachment 103373 View attachment 103372
View attachment 103375 View attachment 103374
I'm fighting for you - maybe we can get @ronv to comment on some of the work he was doing to help. Mods from not doing that anymore. Unfortunately, a new member like yourself cannot PM with less than 10 posts. So you should reply to this with your comments about starting new posts because you responded to an old post. Then I will answe and so on until you have 10 and you can PM the guy.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I'm fighting for you - maybe we can get @ronv to comment on some of the work he was doing to help. Mods from not doing that anymore. Unfortunately, a new member like yourself cannot PM with less than 10 posts. So you should reply to this with your comments about starting new posts because you responded to an old post. Then I will answe and so on until you have 10 and you can PM the guy.
Hmm, don't know. I'll ask @JohnInTX .
I was going to send a PM for @Braymond141 but @Flug540 is no longer in the address list. :( Hope he is okay.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Also tell us why you are replacing obviously good resistors. And why did you replace your 1211Ω resistor with a 1.1kΩ instead of a 1.2kΩ?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There us a question about this project on another thread...Isis @Flug540 still out there?

=====================

My question;

Measures 1.211k
Measures 66.8k

Measures 1.1k
Measures 66.5k

Flug540

Joined Mar 24, 2012
Hey, Gopher!
Yes, I'm still around :)
Can it be that since you are measuring the resistors plugged into the board, the rest of the schematic affecting your readings?
I don't have the schematic handy so just throwing this out there.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey, Gopher!
Yes, I'm still around :)
Can it be that since you are measuring the resistors plugged into the board, the rest of the schematic affecting your readings?
I don't have the schematic handy so just throwing this out there.
Amazing. Thanks for coming back.

Hey, I am not the one with the questions exactly. There were some gyrations with a Mod - he didn't want this thread coming back from the dead so he split the new member's post from yours (too many details, I'll notify the other guy - maybe his question can be figured out after all these years (I think he is just happy to have the same equipment and same problem you had...

@Braymond141
Are you out there?

Last edited:
No on them being plugged, they read the same in or out.

What came of your project? I sourced everything to replicate the T9 down to the amp connectors. Just the available resistors I'm finding difficult.

Also tell us why you are replacing obviously good resistors. And why did you replace your 1211Ω resistor with a 1.1kΩ instead of a 1.2kΩ?
Not replacing, just copying the whole part. It is a MAF scaler used in a supercharged application to handle the increased air. The company no longer supports their 90's products.

I did my resistor search based on the band colors. The new resistors are what digi-key said were correct.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Mod note: The thread was split. Upon review, since the new question follows the original one AND the OP/TS came back, the original thread will continue here with pertinent posts from the split thread.

Thanks to all for pointing it out.