Using WEMO to open garage door

stevelasvegas

Joined Dec 19, 2012
I want to use a WEMO switch ( http://www.belkin.com/us/wemo-switch ) to open and/or close my garage door. I have little electronic knowledge.

Here's what I believe to be true:
The WEMO switch plugs into typical 110v AC outlet.
The WEMO will switch the output side of the WEMO giving 110v AC to the female "plug" on the WEMO.
My garage door opener will activate if I momentarily connect the 2 terminals where the push-to-activate button connects on the garage door opener.

There is one caveat. The WEMO output side is on or off. On would have voltage present at the output of the WEMO continuously. Off would have no power continuously.

I'm thinking if I connect a relay into the female output receptacle (110v) and the other side of the relay closes momentarily, with no power transmitted just a physical connection (just like my existing push-button does), I would be able to achieve my goal.

So, I'm thinking that all I need is a relay that will accomplish this task. If that is the case, I need to know what the attributes of the relay need to be. I am looking at a Radio Shack type item.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Use the WEMO to power a walwart which in turn powers a 555 one-shot which drives a relay. The relay NO contacts would be placed in parallel with the garage door push button. I put a system similar to what I described but used a 24 hour timer to drive the walwart. (I frequently forgot to close the door at night) In my system, I mounted a magnet on the long belt and a reed relay so that the reed is near the magnet if the door is open. This prevents the door from opening if already closed. My garage door closes at 7:30PM every day. A loud beeper sounds when it starts to close.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The reason for the 555 timer in my system is that my 24 hour timer has a minimum ON time of 15 minutes. Without the oneshot, if I wanted to open the door during that 15 minute time, it would immediately close again. The one shot sees the initial POWER ON, times out and stays timed out until the timer turns off again.