Using two power supplies

OSOO

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Hello,

Can I use two power supplies in my circuit ,
for example 5v voltage to half of the circuit and 6v to the other half ?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can generally use as many power supplies as you like as long as the voltages are compatible with the circuits being powered.

Fibonacci

Joined May 23, 2014
Hello,

Can I use two power supplies in my circuit ,
for example 5v voltage to half of the circuit and 6v to the other half ?
The answer is yes. There are several situations, for example in op-amps, or using 7406 logic inverter with open collector output. It is an inverter buffer with +5V power supply but it can handle up to 30 Vcd between a pull-up resistor and the output with a maximum 40 mA of sink current.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The answer is yes. There are several situations, for example in op-amps, or using 7406 logic inverter with open collector output. It is an inverter buffer with +5V power supply but it can handle up to 30 Vcd between a pull-up resistor and the output with a maximum 40 mA of sink current.
As others have stated a proper answer is "maybe".. not yes.
Its just guessing without any necessary details.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is also the question of whether the circuits require isolation from each other or if the commons can be connected together.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I agree with the others; the answer is a qualified yes.

Why do you want to do this? How do the sub-circuits interface with each other? And how isolated must they be?

Here is an example of a 5V microcontroller driving a 12V relay. One example of mixed voltages. However, if it were to directly control a 120VAC lamp, it would be a completely different schematic.