Using stripboards/veroboards

DangerousBill

Joined Jul 21, 2010
Im making a big circuit using those strip boards. Is it best to have the wires on the top or underneath?
I put the wires on top, but I don't cut off the trailing ends (that protrude through the board) until it's finished. That's so that if I need multiple connections to the same node, and run out of holes, I can tack a new wire to the trailing end on the bottom side.

But I prefer:

If I'm reasonably certain the circuit will work, I will lay out a PC board using a quick service like ExpressPCB, and get 2 boards etched without mask or silkscreen. It's usually less than $75, and saves that much in labor costs. I add extra pads wherever there is room, so I can cut and paste in the case of errors or changes. Also, I socket everything.

When the circuit is tweaked, I can generally go smoothly to a finished, masked board with less effort.

(It helps if I'm working for a client, too, and can charge the cost to an account.)

Dangerous Bill

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I have made hundreds, thousands (or millions) of circuits on Veroboard (stripboard).
The strips form half of a pcb and most of the parts and a few jumper wires (on the components side) form the remainder of the pcb.
Only one wire goes in each hole like on a pcb.