Using PIC18F67J60 to communicate between ethernet and serial port

plug2pin

Joined Feb 28, 2010
Hi everyone,
Hope all experts help me here.
I have been assigned to make a programming using PIC18f67j60 to communicate between Ethernet and serial port.
Its means: if i connect my pc to the ethernet (i'm using olimex pic18f67j60) and send message to pic using hyper terminal, then pic will receive and send data to serial port to make it appear to pc that connected to the serial port.

I need help because i have no idea where to start, and what the flow to start for programming. Hope anyone can help me to give me idea where to start and what to do first

p/s: Its quite a long time i never touch microcontroller programming..:(

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Are you sure you have your facts straight?

Hyperterm is a serial application. It sends and receives via the serial port. If you want to send through the Ethernet port you will have to use one of the TCP/IP protocols, telnet, FTP, SSH, HTTP etc.

You will also have to run an IP stack on your PIC. I have never had occasion to do it myself but if you go to the Microchip site you will find plenty of info and even software to run an IP stack on the PIC.

plug2pin

Joined Feb 28, 2010
Thanks Alex.
Right now, this Olimex pic18f67p60 has communication with ethernet and serial port.
To communicate to ethernet, it using web server where this web has the application to on off led etc. But no communication between ethernet and serial port.
Right now, I want to comunicate between this two, means if I send some data lets say string through ethernet (using web bases application) and hyperterm that connected to serial port of this board will show the string.
I have no idea to start with. Can you guide me?

thanks in advanced

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Ok, it looks like your board has the hardware needed to run ethernet so you just need to worry about the software.
Go to the Microchip site and do a search for "TCP/IP stack" You should find software to download and some application notes to get you started. Take a look at app note AN833 for a first in overview.