Using optocouplers

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

I decided to use the HCPL2631 optocoupler to isolate PWM signal. I went for this IC since it has a small propagation delay. Can I use this opto with only two resistors (one with the LED and one with the colector) ?? the datasheet shows this IC connected to a capacitor and some other components. Is it safe not to use them?

Datasheet:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/6N/6N137.pdf

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The capacitor shown in the datasheet is a bypass capacitor. It is needed for stability of the output. If not used the output may not be stable but oscillating. So yes include the bypass capacitor by all means.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's "safe" not to use the bypass capacitor but the circuit may not work properly. Is adding that capacitor a problem? What components beside this capacitor are you referring too?

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

What components beside this capacitor are you referring too?
I was referring the the other capacitor (CL).
What is the purpose of capacitor CL please? and is it connected to pin 6 or in series with RL?

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Another quick question.

The opto-isolator will be connected to the IN of the H-bridge. The datasheet of the H-bridge states that a 10Kohms resistor should be connected to the IN pin to protect from excess currents. If I leave the 10Kohms together with the 350ohms resistor which is connected to the opto collector, will it affect the periodic time? Should I remove the 10Kohms resistor?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Another quick question.

The opto-isolator will be connected to the IN of the H-bridge. The datasheet of the H-bridge states that a 10Kohms resistor should be connected to the IN pin to protect from excess currents. If I leave the 10Kohms together with the 350ohms resistor which is connected to the opto collector, will it affect the periodic time? Should I remove the 10Kohms resistor?
It is best you provide more info here I guess

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi,

I decided to use the HCPL2631 optocoupler to isolate PWM signal. I went for this IC since it has a small propagation delay. Can I use this opto with only two resistors (one with the LED and one with the colector) ?? the datasheet shows this IC connected to a capacitor and some other components. Is it safe not to use them?

Datasheet:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/6N/6N137.pdf
Can you post a schematic?

The PWM signal I'm thinking of would take violent exception to a logic level opto in the feedback path.

If its for primary/secondary isolation; choosing a part with the appropriate safety certification should be your first consideration.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think I managed to sort that out, but I am still not sure about the resistor value I selected.
Assuming that a pull-up resistor is connected as shown in the figure attached. The datasheet states that with the resistor value of 350ohms, one will get the maximum switching speed.
Now my question is: is a 350ohms resistor big enough to provide resistance between the positive supply and the ground when the optoisolator is on?

Attachments

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In your drawing. Then the opto LED is on. The microcontroller input will be pulled low. The voltage on the controller input pin will be equal to the transistor collector emitter voltage. Around 0.2 volt I will guess.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think you're looking at an over voltage protection specification. For any input pin, a certain small amount of current is needed to register the state of the input signal. For input voltages outside the range of common to the Vdd for the chip, excess voltage MUST be dissipated by shunting current to ground or into the Vdd supply. The chip has internal diodes to stop the voltage being outside the operating range of the chip but they have a current limit. For instance, you could apply 12 volts to the input of a 3 volt MPU if and only if you have 10k in series with that voltage to limit the shunted current to less than 1 ma.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the information provided.
If the voltage at the input of the optoisolation is varying from 0V to 5V, but I only want the OPTO to be active when the voltage is above 4V. Shell I use a zener diode or is there another method to achieve this?

Last edited:

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
I did some research and apparently a zener diode let voltage below its value pass, so it will not work for this application. Is there a single component which can archive this?
I know that I can use a voltage comparator, but I would prefer a smaller/simpler component.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The LED already has a breakover voltage around 2.1V doesn't it? Add some 1N4004's in series with the LED and watch until you are demanding 4 volts for the breakover point. (I don't think you can buy zeners under 2 volts.) Then reduce the series resistor so the last 1 volt or .8 volts or whatever you have left throws the right current through the LED.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I did some research and apparently a zener diode let voltage below its value pass, so it will not work for this application. Is there a single component which can archive this?
I know that I can use a voltage comparator, but I would prefer a smaller/simpler component.
What will be driving the LED on the opto. And also what is your motivation behind the 4 volt threshold. It could be that you over-think this ;)

Last edited:

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
So basically I am using a motor driver IC which has a pin for sensing current in the load. This same pin goes to 5V when a fault occurs.
Now I am not going to use the pin for the current sensing but for the fault flag function only.
With the pin I am going to connect an OPTO which will drive another component when the pin goes to 5V (i.e. fault detected).
Since the same pin is used for current sense, the voltage varies from 0V to approx. 3V. This will cause the LED of the OPTO to turn on. For this reason I want to set a threshold of 4V. This way, the LED ignores the current sense voltage and only goes high when the fault flag is active.

I know that the best option is to use a voltage comparator, buy I would prefer a smaller and more basic component if possible.