Using inducticve pickups on engine spark plug leads as engine position input for a fuel injection system

LPGC

Joined May 13, 2014
First of all, please don't confuse or mix up points on this thread with points on my other current thread, at least for the time being I consider them different subjects. I definitely want to get my rev counter working properly (my other thread) soon. But at the moment the points I make on this thread are more 'testing the water', see what suggestions people come up with, maybe get around to building it when I have a bit more time. This is my other thread... https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...le-points-style-ignition.201610/#post-1918877

Background / Intro - I convert vehicles to run on LPG (propane) for a living. Most modern vehicle LPG systems use electronically pulsed gas vapour injectors driven by a dedicated mappable ECU which gets its own input from the original vehicle ECU's output to petrol injectors (the petrol injectors are disconnected and a dummy load connected when the vehicle is running on LPG). We can convert older engines that run on carburettors using older technology LPG mixer systems (think carburettor but for LPG instead of petrol) but it would be nice to be able to fit an electronically pulsed LPG injection system on older carb equipped engines. The problems against fitting a modern LPG system on a carb engine are that obviously there is no petrol ECU outputting pulses to petrol injectors to use as input for a modern LPG system, and there are no engine position sensors such as crankshaft position sensor (which could be used to drive a full group injection system that pulses all or half of the LPG injectors all at once) or camshaft position sensor (used by modern EFI systems to know which part of the 4 stroke cycle an engine is in, necessary for sequential fuel injection that fires each individual fuel injector at the opportune moment just before it's corresponding engine inlet valve opens)..

However, engines with a spark distributor do still have such cam sensor position 'output' in a way, because the rotor arm inside the distributor always points to the output terminal and spark plug wire of the cylinder that is about to fire. Almost the exact position of the engine (and at least close enough for intents and purposes of firing LPG vapour injectors as corresponding engine inlet valves are about to open) can be known by electronics reading spark plug firing moment using inductive pickups on spark plugs wires. So what I would like to do is build a system that has an inductive pickup on each spark plug wire... The system would see the induced voltage from a particular spark plug wire and output an 'injection pulse' for the cylinder whose inlet valve is just about to open when this spark fires (which won't be the same engine cylinder). The pulse length of the 'injection pulse' needs to be short (say 2.5ms) for low engine loads (say 0.25 bar absolute manifold pressure on over-run) and increasingly longer for higher engine loads up to the manifold being the same as atmospheric pressure (say 14ms for 1 bar absolute manifold pressure)....

So I have just described a system that uses an inductive pickup on every plug wire (8 pickups on a V8 engine) and a manifold pressure sensor as inputs (9 inputs) and has 8 outputs.. The 8 outputs have pulse output, the respective output pulses start when respective inducted input pulse starts and the length of each pulse is dependent on the MAP sensor input. I fully realise that this would not be a viable fuel injection system as I have so far described it, because I haven't mentioned how fuelling would be adjusted (mapped using some sort of table with rpm and manifold pressure on the axis and length of pulse in the cells)... But for my intents and purposes the system would not need to be mappable because the LPG system ECU that this system would drive (using those 8 outputs) has it's own mapping ability, the LPG ECU takes the input pulse length and multiplies it using user entered table data to arrive on pulse length for the LPG injectors. So this system plus the usual LPG ECU system would make for a full standalone mappable sequential port injection LPG vapour injection sysem on a carb engine that has an old-skool type sparks distributor but it would be 'open loop' (not adjust fuelling according to lambda / exhaust oxygen sensor inputs). The system could be improved by making it closed loop but that would mean having to make it more complicated, it would then need to be mappable itself and it would need memory to store learned 'fuel trims' data like a modern vehicle ECU does.

Any suggestions for how to go about making such setup (not the LPG side of things, just a gizmo that has 8 outputs with each output pulse beginning when it's relative spark plug fires and pulse length depending on voltage reading from a manifold pressure sensor)? Could something like a RaspberryPi / Arduino be made to do this with appropriate coding and input / output circuitry?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Just purchase a "Micro-Squirt" Fuel-Injection-Computer,
it can be adapted to almost any configuration, and solves the Fuel-Mapping problem beautifully
with a 12 X 12, RPM vs Load Map.

It will be best set-up with a Crank-Pick-Up-Sensor,
a distributor-Sensor or Points,
and a MAP-Sensor to do everything that You need.

If You want control over switchable Fuels, and switchable Ignition-Curve-Maps,
then You will need to graduate up to a "Mega-Squirt" Computer.

Inductive Spark-Plug-Wire-Sensors are likely to be less reliable,
but could be used as a single-Coil-Wire-Sensor.

A Micro-Squirt will work with any Ignition-System,
and without High-Voltage-Pick-Up-Coils on the Spark-Plug-Wires.
And, if You install a Crank-Sensor,
it will also provide a 12 X 12 Ignition-Advance-Map, and drive the Ignition-Coil too.
( It might also work with just a Distributor, and no Crank-Sensor, depending upon the Engine-Configuration ).

There are Mechanical-"Propane-Carburetors" available with no Electronic-Controls required.

Unless You can get Propane for absolutely free,
there's zero advantage to swapping over to it from Gasoline, and, it will make less Power too.

Don't get yourself busted for not paying State-Road-Use-Taxes.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The system would see the induced voltage from a particular spark plug wire and output an 'injection pulse' for the cylinder whose inlet valve is just about to open when this spark fires (which won't be the same engine cylinder).
If I understand correctly, that implies that the system needs to create a firing-to-injection pulse delay which varies inversely with engine speed. It would probably be simpler to do that digitally rather than by some old-school analogue method. But a problem I foresee is that determining the delay involves detecting at least two firing pulses, during which there could be engine mis-fires by not initially having the correct injection instants.

LPGC

Joined May 13, 2014
If I understand correctly, that implies that the system needs to create a firing-to-injection pulse delay which varies inversely with engine speed. It would probably be simpler to do that digitally rather than by some old-school analogue method. But a problem I foresee is that determining the delay involves detecting at least two firing pulses, during which there could be engine mis-fires by not initially having the correct injection instants.
I don't see the need for a delay? The injection pulse for an engine cylinder could be triggered as soon as the unit sees an ignition firing pulse on a different engine cylinder.

Let's take the simpler example of a 4 cylinder 4 stroke engine. Each stroke is 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation so the 4 strokes take 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation to complete a full cycle and with 4 cylinders this means there is a firing stroke every 180degrees. The strokes are induction, compression (spark plug fires towards the end of the compression stroke), power, exhaust. The timing of the ignition pulse is (as in the brackets above) at the end of the compression stroke. The engine cylinders firing order is 1,3,4,2 so when cylinder 1 is nearing the end of it's compression stroke and it's spark plug fires just before the start of its power stroke cylinder 3 will be just finishing it's induction stroke, cylinder 4 will just be finishing its exhaust stroke and cylinder 2 will just be finishing its compression stroke - We'd wire/configure the system so that detection of spark plug firing on one cylinder begins the injection pulse just before the start of the induction stroke on a different cylinder.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Delays and Timing of Injection-Pulses are completely irrelevant,
the operation of the Engine will not be affected in any way that is readily detectable.

In fact, the Injection-Pulses can even be at a completely different Frequency than the Engine-Valve-Events.
Almost all Cars in the '80's ran a fixed ( Gasoline ) Injection-Frequency,
( 10hz with GM-TBI, ( General Motors Throttle-Body-Injection ) ),
and they ran just fine with no issues.

How about a link to the Propane-Injection-System that You intend to use ?
This would really help in providing more useful suggestions.
For now, everyone is doing nothing but speculating, and it's a hideous waste of time.

You can't design your own Fuel-Injection-System, using Propane, or any other Fuel.

Exactly what, and how,
does the Propane-Flow get Regulated by the System that You intend to use ???????

LPGC

Joined May 13, 2014
Delays and Timing of Injection-Pulses are completely irrelevant,
the operation of the Engine will not be affected in any way that is readily detectable.

In fact, the Injection-Pulses can even be at a completely different Frequency than the Engine-Valve-Events.
Almost all Cars in the '80's ran a fixed ( Gasoline ) Injection-Frequency,
( 10hz with GM-TBI, ( General Motors Throttle-Body-Injection ) ),
and they ran just fine with no issues.

How about a link to the Propane-Injection-System that You intend to use ?
This would really help in providing more useful suggestions.
For now, everyone is doing nothing but speculating, and it's a hideous waste of time.

You can't design your own Fuel-Injection-System, using Propane, or any other Fuel.

Exactly what, and how,
does the Propane-Flow get Regulated by the System that You intend to use ???????
You could run a different injector pulse frequency to engine rpm but especially with port vapour injection its an advantage to run the same frequency and sequential injection, and it is simpler to set it up that way anyway.

Of course you could design your own injection system but that isn't what I intend on doing.

I only want to design a system that will feed an existing design with the basic information it needs to work as a complete injection system.

I convert vehicles to run on LPG (propane) for a living and have converted thousands of vehicles. When we convert a port fuel injection vehicle to run on LPG we fit an LPG ECU that acts as a slave to the petrol ECU. When the system is switched to run on LPG the slave ECU disconnects the petrol injectors from the petrol ECU, applies a dummy load, measures the pulse length of each of each petrol injector, applies the LPG system installer's 'map' (table of engine load and engine rpm with a multiplier figure in each cell of the table), the LPG injector pulses are started at the same moment as each (relative would-be) petrol injector pulse and the pulse length of each LPG injector is the original pulse length coming from the petrol ECU multiplied by the relevant figure in the map. There are lots of different make/model slave type sequential LPG system ECU's.

Again, all I need is a system that will provide an existing slave type LPG ECU with pulses (pulses on 8 wires for a V8 engine, one wire for each cylinder), one pulse every 720 degrees of engine rotation (which I should be able to get from 8 inductive pickups one for each spark plug wire) ideally with the pulse starting around the same moment respective inlet valves open, and the pulses need to vary in length with manifold pressure. All the mapping will be done using the slave type ECU's features.

Examples of some LPG slave type ECU's I could use for this include KME Nevo, AEB, King, AC Stag, Europegas, Alex Optima

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It seems like You have an idea that You think will simplify everything,
and make the whole "universal" LPG installation a "no-brainer", one-afternoon-job.

I think this is a fine and respectable aspiration to have,
but I also think that You are in for a rude awakening.

The "devil-is-in-the-details".

No Fuel-Injection-System, Aftermarket, or Factory-Designed,
uses Spark-Plug-Wire-Sensors,
and there are good reasons for that fact.

Every unique installation will have it's quirks, and need to have special adaptations made.
A DIY "Universal-Kit" is not feasible.

The previously mentioned "Micro-Squirt" and "Mega-Squirt" Computers have the
"capability" to completely bypass any factory Fuel-Injection-Controls, without removing them,
either by Automatic / Programmed means, or a simple Switch on the Dash,
or with several other available options, such as,
seamlessly running both Fuels at the same time,
or automatically using one Fuel for Heavy-Load-conditions,
and the other for Light-Load-conditions,
as well as seamlessly adjusting Timing and Injector-Pulsewidth between Ethanol and Gasoline mixes, etc., etc.

There's nothing "simple" about it ..............
At the very least, no "simple-solution" that doesn't have
completely unacceptable driveability or efficiency issues.

An "Old-School", fully-mechanical-regulation, LPG-System, would be a better bet,
but, unfortunately, nothing will let You seamlessly "Switch-Off" a Gasoline-Carburetor,
and LPG needs much more Ignition-Timing-Advance, and Mechanical-Compression-Ratio,
to achieve any semblance of efficiency or refinement.