Using a metal desk

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Hi, im using a stainless steel desk as a workbench, should i have my desk grounded (im guessing yes), how should i go about grounding it, and if i ground it would it be usable as a ground when prototyping circuits or will there be too much interference picked up by it (large flat surface, laptop sitting on it...)?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Oh, sorry Bill, i actually didn't see that, my bad.
Yea, that pretty much answers my questions, thank you! :)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I really wouldn´t use a steel desk, becase you will most probably short out every PCB you work on. You would probably have to add some kind of plastic cover, they even make special ones for working with ESD sensitive devices, but they are quite costly.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Go to a home improvment, or lumber store, and by a panel of pressboard.

It's the thin hard stuff that looks like glue stiffened cardboard. Its a decent insulator and its CHEAP.

I have used it for wall panels behind my equipment, and every couple of years I pull it off, trash it, and put up a new panel. ($8 US)

They also make a version with holes in it you can put pegs in it and hang tools on it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Go to a home improvment, or lumber store, and by a panel of pressboard.

It's the thin hard stuff that looks like glue stiffened cardboard. Its a decent insulator and its CHEAP.

I have used it for wall panels behind my equipment, and every couple of years I pull it off, trash it, and put up a new panel. ($8 US)

They also make a version with holes in it you can put pegs in it and hang tools on it.
I think the OP is looking for ESD protection.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
From my ESD article...

This surface can be bought commercially, or home made in the form of a sheet of metal or foil. In the case of a metal surface it might be a good idea to lay thin paper on top, although it is not necessary if you are not doing any powered tests on the surface.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
Hi, im using a stainless steel desk as a workbench, should i have my desk grounded (im guessing yes), how should i go about grounding it, and if i ground it would it be usable as a ground when prototyping circuits or will there be too much interference picked up by it (large flat surface, laptop sitting on it...)?
Check this link:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_1/2.html
Look at the paragraph entitled Work Area.