Using a 12v Excitation sensor with a signal conditioner meant for 10 or 5V sensors?

James Hockney

Joined Oct 23, 2018
I have a 10V or 5V dc Sensor Excitation (up to 75mA load) signal conditioner that converts a pulse to a 4-20mA signal, this is built into a panel and would be a big pain to change. This works with a laser sensor and reflector to to record RPM on a data logging system.
My issue is that I also want to use the same signal conditioner with an Inductive sensor which requires 12V excitation.
Is this possible?
Datasheet for the sensor and manual for the conditioner are attached.
I have done this the opposite way around with a 12V conditioner through a converter for a 5V sensor, but I'm not sure this will work the other way around.

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The inductive sensor will work on 10V so it should do the job. The only potential problem is its slow switching time. This will limit the RPM it can be used for.

Keith

James Hockney

Joined Oct 23, 2018
Yes, Inductive sensor, because it works while fully immersed in liquid.
For measuring RPM by rotating a attaching a metal trigger piece to the shaft so that it passes through the sensing field once per revolution.
Rpm Range: 1 to about 7000 on the conditioner, but the sensor only needs to work to around 3600