Uses for Oscilloscopes

Slanwar

Joined Mar 7, 2015
I do have a question(s) about the use of an oscilloscope which I couldn't find yet the answers. Can we use an oscilloscope to actually find issues? Any video I saw is always the same, explaining the function of some controls then using a signal generator to show the wave... I do board level repair using a multimeter and a Amscope, when having a schematic just trace the voltages, using alcohol for shorts if the board has a billion of caps. So I bought an used scope from a retired engineer and still there, that's great to impress people when they see that but I really want to know how to use the scope, how to troubleshoot a circuit which I don't have schematics. Where should I look? Whats the output patterns? etc... Can actually an oscilloscope be used for that?

Slanwar

Joined Mar 7, 2015
I got the answers I was looking for from afrotechmods (youtube) and I realized I can use the scope not for troubleshooting the boards which most of the time I can't get a schematic, I like to build transformers with bridges rectifiers and voltage regulators and afrotechmods really shows what a scope can do.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"Can we use an oscilloscope to actually find issues?"

Yes.

"how to troubleshoot a circuit which I don't have schematics. Where should I look?"

Google "oscilloscope octopus circuits". Then read and study the first half dozen results. Then youtube "oscilloscope octopus" and "oscilloscope component tester". Watch all.

It's a matter of time and money. Checking voltages requires documentation and energizing the circuit. Following signals is time consuming. At what point is it faster and cheaper just to replace board instead of paying tech?

The cost of proper setup and the time of voltage or signal troubleshooting is too great. Unless the board/circuit is very expensive.

"Whats the output patterns? etc... Can actually an oscilloscope be used for that? "

Absolutely. Lissajous patterns can detect bad components in a heartbeat. It takes a little time to learn and get a feel for.

I have seen un-skilled techs replace all components on a board quicker........then other experienced techs using standard voltage and signal troubleshooting techniques.

My comments are in a economic context. I follow voltage and signals all the time. I have nothing against voltage and signals troubleshooting......or the people that use them.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Step 1 - Read and understand the schematic

Step 2- Connect oscilloscope to key points in the circuit- observe that the waveforms match you expectations.

Step 3- If the waveforms are not what you expect:
a) you don't correctly understand the circuit function- study and correct your assumptions.
b) the circuit is faulty- determine the cause and repair.

This is an great way to really learn electronics- dive deep!