User a Pot to read Deg of rotation.

mazur50

Joined Feb 5, 2007
I am looking for a circuit. that when i turn a pot it will tell me how many deg of rotaion i have turned. thanks.

Mike

Tube Tech

Joined Jan 11, 2007
2 paths to rotation sensing:

gear wheel and a hall effect sensor. limited resolution.

optical marks and optical sensing. as much resolution as you can afford.

mazur50

Joined Feb 5, 2007
I only need like 90 of sencing. I am tring to make a device so i can tell howmuch timming a armature has with out using a protractor.

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hi....The most acurate way is to use an optical shaft encoder..... These are quite expensive, but I have bought some on e-bay before at around 20 GBP.You would need a counter to count the pulses, and if you need to detect direction, a JK flip-flop.....Daniel.

mazur50

Joined Feb 5, 2007

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am looking for a circuit. that when i turn a pot it will tell me how many deg of rotaion i have turned. thanks.
The circuit is very simple: connect the bottom of the pot to the power supply, bottom to ground. You will get a retiomatric sensor i.e. the ration of the voltage on the wiper to the power supply voltage will be proportional to the angle. Your problem is more mechanical rather than electrical: how are you going to secure the pot to the moving parts?

Uman

Joined May 2, 2004
Typically a precision pot is used when angles are less than 270 degrees and angle encoders when greater than 270 degrees. Precision pot are much cheaper than encoders and less components involved.
We have used precision pots for turrent steering position feedback on large vehicles with indepentent turrent bogies quite successfully.