Use ordinary 12V to 220V modified sinewave inverter with 50 Hz output to drive primary coil of SSTC.

Martin Arpon

Joined Jul 20, 2019
Guys , can I use ordinary 12V to 220V inverter to drive my primary coil of my tesla coil and just change the operating frequency of inverter from 50Hz to whatever is the frequency of my primary to match the resonance frequency of my primary's capacitor and inductor, thanks in advance.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can try it but the frequency at which your Tesla coil resonates is probably much higher than 50 Hz and the components in the sine wave converter are probably not going to be of any use at that frequency. My assumption is that the Tesla coil will resonate about 10 kHz.

Martin Arpon

Joined Jul 20, 2019
You can try it but the frequency at which your Tesla coil resonates is probably much higher than 50 Hz and the components in the sine wave converter are probably not going to be of any use at that frequency. My assumption is that the Tesla coil will resonate about 10 kHz.

Martin Arpon

Joined Jul 20, 2019
But can I change the operating frequency of the second stage of inverter from 50 hz to whatever is the maximum operating frequency of the IC that drives the second stage of the inverter, am I right? Coz we know the ordinary inverter today has two stage, 1st is to boost the 12V to 330V by using ferrite transformer that operates at high frequency and 2nd is to feed the 330V to full bridge inverter that operates at 50hz, that's my plan to change the operating frequency of the second stage.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If the second stage drives the output transformer at 50 Hz you will probably find that the transformer and the drive circuitry are not able to operate satisfactorily at a high enough frequency.

Don't let me discourage you from experimenting. I am just trying to answer your questions.

When working with voltages like that I try to be very careful, even to the extent of not moving instrument probes while power is applied. I just really dislike being shocked. Unlike the Tesla Coil which (most likely) has limited current capabilities the energy stored in a 300V bypass capacitor and be huge.