Use of electrolytic capacity as very short term battery/voltage smooting device

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the power switching does not cause the freeze then it may be a hacker and changing the passwors would be in order. I know I read that caused freezes for somebody else a few years back. Excessive login attempts was the cause.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks Bill Not sure what you mean. The WPA (wireless security key) for the router?
A router, in addition to routing traffic, is also usually a node on the network just like any other computer. There is often a way to connect to that computer remotely so that you can control the settings in it. Today, many (most?) routers will serve up a website that you can go to in order to do all of this in a very (well, fairly) user-friendly way.

However, how to access those services and the passwords are usually well-documented and are the same for every instance of that router (or even for most of the routers made by the same manufacturer). In the fine print of the set-up instructions is usually some verbiage recommending that the password be changed, but that is almost never done. The result is a security vulnerability that hackers can exploit to break into your network.

jgplarnold

Joined May 16, 2020
Thanks for that information. I assume you mean that every router of the same model model from the same manufacturer comes with the same WPA and as such should be changed and that I could possibly hack into my neighbours wifi router with the same wpa if theirs is the same manufacturer/model and they haven't changed the password?
That is scarey and I must change mine then.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Similar freezing was frequent problem at our monitoring data transmitter computer, loving to hang up. Problem was vompletely solved paralleling battery with supercap. Try to evaluate the supercap battery appropriatness to Your problem.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for that information. I assume you mean that every router of the same model model from the same manufacturer comes with the same WPA and as such should be changed and that I could possibly hack into my neighbours wifi router with the same wpa if theirs is the same manufacturer/model and they haven't changed the password?
That is scarey and I must change mine then.
No, I am NOT talking about the WPA key. You have to give that key to everyone that you want to allow access to. I am talking about the administrative password to the router itself.

jgplarnold

Joined May 16, 2020
I thought that you meant the router password but wondered how anyone could access the router remotely eg not connected via LAN, WAN or MAN. Is that possible?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I thought that you meant the router password but wondered how anyone could access the router remotely eg not connected via LAN, WAN or MAN. Is that possible?
Do not underestimate what determined hackers can achieve, nor how many errors and random problems will be in any microsoft product.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Two cents worth of suggestion here: Instead of a cap use a 12 volt gel cell battery. A small 12 volt battery such as THIS one can carry your router through any brief power failure. It's small, so it won't keep your router connected all day, but it will certainly get you through that brief transition period.

The only thing about this solution is that a 12 volt battery should be kept at a float charge of 13.6 volts. If you keep it at 12 volts the plates will eventually sulfate and the useful life of the battery will be shortened. I can't say how much shorter. This is a 12 volt SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery. You can't just store one on the shelf for years on end. They will sulfate all on their own. I don't know what they will do if left connected to a constant 12 volt source.

Your router will work just fine on 13.6 volts. So maybe you can find or build a charger. Better yet, just comes to mind, one of those battery boosters you keep in your car. People buy them and then never charge them. Then comes the day they need to use it and even though it reports 12 volts, it's current capability is shot due to sulfating and lack of charging. I just happen to have one of those units (with a bad battery) on my workbench right now. The plan is to use it to maintain a car battery that I keep in the garage that is connected to a car radio. I like music when I'm working on something. And the car radio happens to be convenient. Plus, the charger will provide 13.8 volts for the battery. When its voltage drops below some set point it will automatically come on and charge the battery back up to the float voltage. You can then hard wire that to the router and keep your internet active despite any brief interruptions.

jgplarnold

Joined May 16, 2020
Thanks everyone.
I had considered a 12v gel cell battery plus a (plugpack) trickle charger for around $A19 which cuts out when fully charged.
I never underestimate what hackers can do and had no idea that they could easily login a router remotely.
Yes I am very aware of Microsoft and 'windoz' and what happens. As each version of 'windoz' is released Big Brother is ever more present. My brother in law will not touch it however I have some great and favourite software which only runs on a Windows platform and not available for ant other platform. Also pop ups (courtesy of Edge and (often) Bing) which I cannot get rid of despite following 'instructions' from various internet forums.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I never underestimate what hackers can do and had no idea that they could easily login a router remotely.
I think the one that will always rank up there with my favorites are the wireless security cameras that hackers used as a gateway to break into networks and steal sensitive information.

jgplarnold

Joined May 16, 2020
Please remember to come back and let us know whether you are satisfied by the results.
That could be some time so don't hold your breath (I am just about to go on vacation)

AND I may never know if it works as the problem encountered doesn't happen very often and there doesn't seem to be any pattern. My power doesn't switch from solar battery to mains overnight all the time and mainly only when the sun didn't shine very much during the day (no sunlight no solar power).

Last edited: