Usbio24

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
I need help on the following :

1) i have a like 6 receivers(relays). Which mean they have 6 Vcc inputs operating at 12 V. Can i just connect them together using jumper wire so that they will power on a single 12 V or how can i combine them into using 1 power supply only?

2)This receiver (relay) have sort of a thin wire antenna... and the range better the transmitter to it is about few 100m. Can/how modified it so that it can transmitter at longer range? maybe using a higher gain antenna?? how?

3)i am also using USBIO24 module. Can anybody tell me how can i test the "Inputs" of this module that i've configured??

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I need help on the following :

1) i have a like 6 receivers(relays). Which mean they have 6 Vcc inputs operating at 12 V. Can i just connect them together using jumper wire so that they will power on a single 12 V or how can i combine them into using 1 power supply only?
You should be able to, if your single 12v supply has enough current to supply all six.

2)This receiver (relay) have sort of a thin wire antenna... and the range better the transmitter to it is about few 100m. Can/how modified it so that it can transmitter at longer range? maybe using a higher gain antenna?? how?
If your antenna is properly tuned to your transmitting frequency you will get good range. If you wish to increase the signal strength in a particular direction, you could use a directional antenna such as a Yagi design. However, you must stay within your country's rules and regulations for RF transmissions, power levels and frequencies. If you concentrate RF power in one direction, you may exceed legal limitations, and the authorities will confiscate your equipment, put you in jail, and assess heavy fines.

3)I am also using USBIO24 module. Can anybody tell me how can i test the "Inputs" of this module that i've configured?
http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=545
For some reason, your URL did not show up in your original post; perhaps because you tried making it bold.
I don't know anything about the USBIO24.

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
Thanks there...

My Relay(receiver) is operating at a 12V AC power and i need to connect its output to a device(USBIO) which is operating at 5V which in turn is connected to my laptop via a USB cable.

i am guessing i need a regulator/transformer?
What is the EASIEST way to solve this?

I accidentally oversee this and tried powering them up a week back.. and my laptop got blackout and auto reboot.

Thanks alot

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The USBIO24R module requires an input voltage from 3.3v to 5v. If you attempted to power it from 12VAC, you probably destroyed it.

Also, if the module was jumpered to be powered via the USB at the time, you may have damaged your USB port.

Each port of the USBIO24 can sink up to 30mA @5v. If you exceed the 5v or 30mA, you will most likely seriously damage the USBIO24.

From your first post, it sounded like you were powering your receivers from 12V DC, now you say it's 12V AC. That's nearly 17V peak to peak. Vcc is generally accepted to mean a DC voltage, not AC.

I have no clue what you're trying to do with the six receivers, what their specifications are, or what their control/signal outputs look like. But I have strong suspicions that you have let the smoke out of your USBIO24 and possibly your USB port as well. This is not good.

Try connecting something like a printer or camera to your USB port and see if it works.

Last edited:

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
oh no. But i tried test the pins with a multimeter and it still works. so how can i connect them up/need to know ?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Do you have any specifications that are available online for your receivers?

Up to this point, you have basically said you had six of them. At first, they were running with a Vcc of 12V, which I naturally assumed was DC.

Later, you said it's 12V AC, which would imply that it is not a Vcc at all, but an input voltage that must be rectified and filtered before the receivers can do anything with it.

Your receivers must be doing something more than just receiving; ie: they must have some kind of output ports; what they could be I have no idea, as you have provided no information.

But somehow, you apparently want to connect this USBIO24R to your receivers to do something. What you want to do isn't apparent. The only thing that IS apparent is that when you hook things up the way you have been, un-good things happen to your computer.

If you keep us guessing like this, it's very likely that little if anything useful will be accomplished.

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
sorry about that.. i will provide more info . Thanks for the help. Anyway the receiver is use to output my signal i got from a wireless PIR sensor.

i will post up the specs soon.