USB touchscreen for PCsHi every1... well... lately a project came to my mind... it

ASHITKUMAR

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Hi every1...

well...
lately a project came to my mind...

its a touchscreen, a touchscreen for pcs aur laptops whatever u may like...
such tht we can connect this touchscreen to the computer via a Usb cable..

i have searched the net and found that infra red touchscreen technology will b best suited cnsidering money and feasibility...

but the problem is how to make it interact with our pc via usb...

that sounded a bit simple and ofcourse it had to work like a simple usb mouse...

but its getting tough day by day with this usb which is immensely huge and complex for an undergraduate in electronics...

so plz suggest what all should i study for making this screen talk to the pc via usb..

do i need to make a driver for this or we can use the human interface drivers included in the windows...

plz suggest...

thanks in advance...

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The Pic32 microcontrollers with built in USB on the GO from Microchip are capable of being used as a HID device, and no windows drivers are needed, it will just use the standard HID windows drivers... and they have sample code and file stacks for implementing such applications....

B. Morse

ASHITKUMAR

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Misunderstood what your trying to do but this is an example of iR being used for touchless controlling by hand gesture. I figure you might be able to control a large display with 2 or 3 running for an X,Y, Z axis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlU6Gz1Sc8M

hi sir...

basically we are trying to make a touchscreen for my desktop...
like a screen that i can attach onto the monitor and connect it to the cpu via usb...
and tada....:D

my boring pc is touch sensitive...
though this thing is available in the market v as students who have jst strted with electronics want to make it at home cmpletely out of interst and curiosity...
you may refer to the site posted by sceadwian sir in this thread...

thanks for your reply..

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
hi sir...

basically we are trying to make a touchscreen for my desktop...
like a screen that i can attach onto the monitor and connect it to the cpu via usb...
and tada....:D

my boring pc is touch sensitive...
though this thing is available in the market v as students who have jst strted with electronics want to make it at home cmpletely out of interst and curiosity...
you may refer to the site posted by sceadwian sir in this thread...

thanks for your reply..

So basically, you want to create a device that will turn any size screen into a touch screen, and connect this device to the computer via USB, so that way you can make even boring CRT monitors into Touch screens...

Basically, you will have to have some knowledge about microcontrollers, you will definitely need one for this project, do you have any experience with microcontrollers??

B. Morse

ASHITKUMAR

Joined Jul 26, 2010
hi sir...

yup u got it right...

and my previous experiences have been with an AVR...
so its not like i am a novice in microcontrollers...
i progrmd an AVR using avr studio in some of my previous projects...
bt judging by the replies i think ill hv to stick to a pic for the usb thing...

ny suggestions sir..???
nd for the touchscreen we have thot to use infra red technology...

i.e. infrared trnsmitrs along 1 x and y axis of the screen...
receivers on the oppposite sides...

and output from all the rcvrs to 2 encoders...1 fr x and 2nd fr y axis...

encdrs vl trnsfer bnary info crrsponding to the output of each each rcvr to the microcntlr...like a binary num 1111101111....this vl tell that the 6th rcvr is getting less light and its being obstructed...

similarly for y axis..
so v have the position of our finger
that is sent to ucntrlr...

and then via usb to the cpu...

but this usb thing is new and a bit complex for us...

thats where v r having prblms...:(

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
A nice chip that helps with getting over the USB hump is the Viniculm modules, which take care of most of the USB side for you, worth looking into, and if you're familiar with micro controllers you should be right at home with them. It even supports HID as a slave protocol (Human Interface Device) so it could easily be used to mimick a mouse/keyboard/joystick

http://www.vinculum.com/

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Yo do know that to get good resolution for the input, you will have to have a LOT of IR LED's and phototransistors/Photodiodes to detect where the "finger" is on the screen...

Why not think about using a couple of lasers, one for the Y axis and another for the X axis, then you will have to figure out the TOF (Time Of Flight) of the laser reflection to determine distance or coordinates of the "finger"..... then this could be easily adjustable to fit any size screen.... even a giant 55" LCD!! :)

Or use 4 IR lasers and a couple of webcams like this >>http://labs.ideo.com/2009/02/11/hacked-rear-projection-tv-into-multitouch-display

B. Morse

Last edited:
thanks sir...

the second method is aesum but bcoz we aim to make a small touchscreen to fit a crt or an lcd 15" or 17"...i think ill go with the 1st method...
if you cud elaborate a bit about the usb thing..that will b very helpful...:)

plus the vinculum thing posted by sceadwian sir is gud..
i think for opting it....

vl that b compatible and useful with the 1st method u hv told...???

hey sorry...
I didnt introduce myself..
I have been working with ASHITKUMAR on this very subject for quite some time and we decided to take some help from experienced guys like you all...
ASHITKUMAR wont b available so i took charge of our querries...

Thanks

ASHITKUMAR

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Yo do know that to get good resolution for the input, you will have to have a LOT of IR LED's and phototransistors/Photodiodes to detect where the "finger" is on the screen...

Why not think about using a couple of lasers, one for the Y axis and another for the X axis, then you will have to figure out the TOF (Time Of Flight) of the laser reflection to determine distance or coordinates of the "finger"..... then this could be easily adjustable to fit any size screen.... even a giant 55" LCD!! :)

Or use 4 IR lasers and a couple of webcams like this >>http://labs.ideo.com/2009/02/11/hacked-rear-projection-tv-into-multitouch-display

B. Morse

thanks sir...

the second method is aesum but bcoz we aim to make a small touchscreen to fit a crt or an lcd 15" or 17"...i think ill go with the 1st method...
if you cud elaborate a bit about the usb thing..that will b very helpful...:)

plus the vinculum thing posted by sceadwian sir is gud..
i think for opting it....

vl that b compatible and useful with the 1st method u hv told...???