USB to Serial RS232 cable problems

Chaabane

Joined Nov 30, 2009
Hello,

i have this cable that convert USB to RS232 (i guess).but when i plug it in my laptop,it ask for driver. and i didn't get any CD with it. ??

i want to use it with my pic boot-loader. so i can program from my laptop without the need to go to my PC.
Any idea about this problem ???

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Yes you need a driver. I suggest you Google the manufactures name and/or model name. I am sure they have web site for driver download

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
when you plug it into the computer, it should have displayed a device name or something such as example :
Prolific USB to serial converter
do you remember what it said the device was?

B. Morse

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
What type of boot loader / programmer do you have? Is it a velleman?

If the driver installs properly, but the PIC doesn't program, it is usually because USB doesn't have the 12v that some programmers need to write the PIC. The usb rs-232 driver is an rs-232 emulator, used for proper communications at logic levels, however you need the 12v rail from 'real' rs-232 to program on programmers that donot have their own 12v source.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello,

i have this cable that convert USB to RS232 (i guess).but when i plug it in my laptop,it ask for driver. and i didn't get any CD with it. ??

i want to use it with my pic boot-loader. so i can program from my laptop without the need to go to my PC.
Any idea about this problem ???
I have a RS232 version of these a a parallel version. Neither required a driver for Windows XP.

What OS are you using?

Did you write the boot loader or buy it?

It might be that the software is not compatible. I sell a software product of my own and I had complaints that it does not work with one of these RS232 USB ports but I have been unable to duplicate the problem.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Or and FT232R chip from FTDI, which saves you the hassle of converting the +/-12V RS232 levels back to 0-5V logic. Very easy to use, but it is SMD which could be a problem if you don´t have the necessary tools and precision.

Chaabane

Joined Nov 30, 2009
Thanks guys for all your comments,I really appreciate it.

when you plug it into the computer, it should have displayed a device name or something such as example : do you remember what it said the device was?

B. Morse
yeah,it gives me this message ""USB2.0-Ser!" just this message.

What type of boot loader / programmer do you have? Is it a velleman?

If the driver installs properly, but the PIC doesn't program, it is usually because USB doesn't have the 12v that some programmers need to write the PIC. The usb rs-232 driver is an rs-232 emulator, used for proper communications at logic levels, however you need the 12v rail from 'real' rs-232 to program on programmers that donot have their own 12v source.
i didn't try the pic yet.should I ?

I have a RS232 version of these a a parallel version. Neither required a driver for Windows XP.

What OS are you using?

Did you write the boot loader or buy it?

It might be that the software is not compatible. I sell a software product of my own and I had complaints that it does not work with one of these RS232 USB ports but I have been unable to duplicate the problem.
i didn't even try the bootloader,i'll try to program the pic with it.

Why not get a PICKIT or a PICKIT clone. They work and do not set you more back than a USB to RS232 converter.
I'm in Algeria dude, this PICKITs doesn't exist here, and it will took lots time to get one.

Or and FT232R chip from FTDI, which saves you the hassle of converting the +/-12V RS232 levels back to 0-5V logic. Very easy to use, but it is SMD which could be a problem if you don´t have the necessary tools and precision.
hmmm,i'm not sure about but i'll check it,Thanks

Thanks,i'll check it