USB to Serial port workaround

nightcrawler

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Hello Everyone, this is my first post n this forum.
I've bought a AVR dev board couple of weeks ago. It has a DB9 serial port with RS232 communication system to program the board. In other words to program the board I must have a DB9 serial port in my laptop!! But unfortunately, I do not have that :confused:
I bought a usb to serial adapter, but it is just a piece of crap, I tested loopback test for it and it failed.
So can anybody suggest any workaround?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Buy a better USB to serial converter? I have one based on the FTDI chipset (bought from Lynxmotion) and have yet to run into a situation where it doesn't work. Also, do you have the latest drivers for the one you have? What OS are you running on your laptop? I have Windows 7 and also used Vista with the Lynxmotion adapter. (They are a robotics hobbyist supplier).

nightcrawler

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Thanks djsfantasi for your prompt reply.
Actually I previously had Windows 7, but as it was not supporting the adapter,so I moved to windows XP SP2. Now the adapter is showing in device manager and I'm getting the message "Your device is installed and ready to use". But whenever I'm trying to connect it to my Dev board and program with AVR studio it throws an error message that "No target board found!". Oh, by the way the adapter is having "Prolific Chipset". Can you give me details about the usb-serial converter you are using? and for what purpose? I really appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You must set up the software (AVR studio) So it know which serial port is should use. If not it will probably use the defualt setting.

nightcrawler

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Maybe I know what you are trying to say t06afre...I came to know that AVR studio only looks for COM1 to 4 and my newly added device is assigned a higher port number (COM21 in my case). So I changed it's port number to 3. So I think that is not the problem!!