USB to Ethernet Wiring Diagram

MaxSmoke

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello, does anyone know or know of a source of a wiring diagram for USB to Ethernet?

You can buy just a cable and I have ordered one, but that will take a while to arrive and it would be useful to know if there is a standard for connecting USB to RJ45.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
There is no way to do it simple. You need some kind of microprocessor to act as the USB ethernet extension and then convert the data between usb and ethernet, which are two completely different protocols.

MaxSmoke

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi Kubeek, thanks for the reply. Yes, I do realise that USB and Ethernet are completely different protocols and interface standards. However, there are cables / connector sub-assemblys that allow direct connection of USB to RJ45. See this link ...

USB<>RJ45

What I am currently doing to save space, is using a USB connector to send and receive 100BaseT. I need a connector like this to translate it to a CAT5 cable.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
100baseT should be possible using USB connectors, but the wiring quite depends on you. If you buy that adaptor, I think you need to test which wire goes where to see the wiring. The usb connector doesn´t force you to do it any one way.

MaxSmoke

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes, I think the USB connector is cable of the data rate, so that is why I chose to use it, being much smaller than the RJ45. However, I do not think I phrased my original question very well at all. What I am trying to find is a wiring diagram of the USB to RJ45 interface connector. However, I shall know soon as I have one on order. Just thought that it might have been standardised and documented somewhere!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think the connector is meant to provide USB over cat5 wires, so you could even end up needing some other rewiring to get the right Ethernet signals to the USB connector pins.
Anyway this kind of adaptor is so strange that I don´t think there is any standard way of wiring it up.