USB projects, where do I start?

BlackCow

Joined May 11, 2009
So far any projects I have worked on, that communicate to a PC, do so through RS232. I would like to use USB instead but I don't know where to start.

Do they make a simple USB chip like they have UARTS for serial?

I've also heard of using PIC micro-controllers to communicate via USB. I have only worked with 16Fxx series PICs, would those work?

Thanks.

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Another alternative: Stick with your regular PIC devices and modify a $2.68 (including shipping) Chinese clone Nokia CA-42 usb-to-serial adapter cable.

You can't access the USB 5v signal through it but it does make a nice inexpensive interface without adding all of the USB code overhead to your projects.

I even use it for serial USB access with bit-banged serial drivers on little 10F' and 12F' projects.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Haha, 400 bucks low cost USB analyzer... I'd hate to see the expensive ones.

I wonder why there isn't one that is all software based, I mean couldn't they make WireShark for USB?
Well the expensive ones from LeCroy cost several thousands. Believe me, when you're trying to figure out why your device won't get past enumeration $400.00 is nuthin'. The software ones don't present the information in the most understandable way.

I second the recommendation on Jan Axelson's books.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I've had good success with a MAX3421, a port sniffer, and careful monitoring of the status port.

There are a number of USB class protocols. My suggestion would be to pick one and learn it thoroughly.