USB Power.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I was wondering about the trouble I get when using USB devices sometimes.

It's FREAKIN :mad: ANNOYING

U might wonder but am done wondering about.
Cause we are one hell of a bunch and it's time to do something universal..ey ! Global about it....no ?

I think every nerd here knows that they cut out at 500mA or source is limited to tht.

What I need is it to cutout at 1A.
Now I know USB has a 5V supply which is supplied by the board. And it takes two ports to work in parallel if any USB device needs more than 500mA. But still it's annoying and sometimes 12 ports ain't enuf these days.

Do I need to blow a mother board ports to find out how or is there anyone who is with me on this to do some brain storming to increase this.

What I have in mind is use some 5V regulators separate on a PCB, which has 1A current limit and use this 5V instead of the board power. Of course I already know a way to simplify connection even a n00b can use it.

But the main problem to do is to cutoff this power when the USB device is stopped with in windows so it can be unplugged safely.

For this I need to know whether the 5V from the mobo is switched off when the windows commands is executed when it is safe to remove the USB device.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
On my computer there is always 5V at the USB port. Its only the program in the pluged in unit thats shut down.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
One or more cell phone chargers would be quick and easy 5volt sources that would deliver 300ma to 500ma, depending on the model. Someone on this forum mentioned those chargers when I had a similar problem to the one you describe.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
What I mean is when I connect my HDD it ticks, means not enuf current.
Are you sure the disk is OK?

I got bad experience with ticking disks.

Basically, the disk was broke, and needed to be replaced.

Can't you find USB-hubs with external power, off the shelfs?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Get a USB Hub, Powered, they come with a 5V/2A adapter for around $25 US.

Make double sure they have the power supply with them. Lots of places will advertise powered USB hubs for $10, and you need to purchase the 5V adapter separately. The good hubs will draw essentially no power to your computer, while the really cheap and bad hubs (and motherboards) will actually allow the hub to back-feed your computer 5V rail, causing problems on startup.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Disk is ok !!!!!!
When I use both ports it get's detected ..I dunno my devices are power hungry

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
5W is not much for a disk, and many disks come right with the double plug. That is the way how the manufacturer says that it really needs to be connected to two ports.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Two ports means 1Amp kubeek...
Do you not understand that ?
And one amp on five volts means five watts. I understand that, what I don´t understad is what is your problem. Too many disks means double many ports used. You can hack your motherboard and disable the protection, but you can easily destroy the motherboard.

Right now I have in front of me a disassembled D-link 7port hub, they give you a 5V 3A switchmode supply with it which could be enough beacuse disks draw most power on spinup. The board is nicely done and you could easily circumvent the overcurrent protection on that and use a larger supply if needed.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Using a hub is same as putting a hub internally to the ports.

I do not want a hub on my desktop. I want them USB ports to be in the facia of my casing. And I want them to handle 1 amps. Not just a standalone port.

I am a tech so why not just do it.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Using a hub is same as putting a hub internally to the ports.
Not exactly, if you use a powered hub, you are using power from an external source to power your drive. You could even get a wall-wart 5VUSB adapter to run the power to the HD to if you didn't want to bother with a powered hub.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If you really want to, just cut the +5V input traces going to the ports (near the usb connector, after the hub-controlled power switch) and connect them to the 5V bus from PSU right away. The switching of the usb supply is mandatory only to prevent damage from shorts and is not involved in enumeration or de-enumeration of usb devices. But still I would suggest some fuse on each of the ports, just to minimize the damage in case something bad happens.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK...I will run some test on the ports.

First lemme put together a PC, will post findings later.
Till then...ta..ta..