USB power usage checker

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Just knocked up a quick box with a USB chopped in half and the data and GND wires re-joined inside. Then a take off for a volt meter from GND and VCC plus two connectors to the VCC in and VCC off for an Ammeter.

Making the Ammeter sit in series with the circuit and the volt meter in parallel.

ie:

When I connect this with no meters attached then any connected device clearly should not work as it will not get power so a jump lead between the ammeter connections puts everything back to normal and the USB device works....

Now if I connect a volt meter that works....

If I disconnect the jump lead and connect an ammeter across the connections the device and ammeter don't work.

Have I missed something really obvious?

I just want something to allow me to check that anything USB that I build will stay in spec.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It looks like it should work as you are only interrupting the power connections, the data needs to be clean. Did you try buzzing it out?

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
It looks like it should work as you are only interrupting the power connections, the data needs to be clean. Did you try buzzing it out?
Well exactly!

Nope I have checked the continuity between each point and everything is as it should be !

Very confused....

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If I disconnect the jump lead and connect an ammeter across the connections the device and ammeter don't work.

Have I missed something really obvious?
What is the "device"? If it's smart, it may be shutting off it's draw on USB power when it sees a fault. Or if it sees insufficient voltage when it tries to negotiate a current draw.

Also, you've drawn the data lines on the outside pins. The outer pins are the power lines, the inner 2 are data.

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
What is the "device"? If it's smart, it may be shutting off it's draw on USB power when it sees a fault. Or if it sees insufficient voltage when it tries to negotiate a current draw.

Also, you've drawn the data lines on the outside pins. The outer pins are the power lines, the inner 2 are data.
Just ignore the positions :) I couldn't remember them when I was drawing the diagram that is why I labelled them. The device is actually something I have made and isn't shutting itself down. I really have no idea why it isn't working correctly at all :confused:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Well, when in doubt, drop back and PUNT!

Sounds like you built this device, is it still in breadboard stage? Cut the power from the USB cable at the device connector, and use another supply instead of the USB power. You should be able to monitor that power any way you wish.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
It's a known prerequisite for nubes to blow the DMM's low current fuse. Prior to DMMs they weren't happy until their meter movements were bent at at 90°. :rolleyes:

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
It's a known prerequisite for nubes to blow the DMM's low current fuse.
Exactly. The OP can check the fuse's integrity by using a continuity tester on the ammeter. If it's a class III or IV instrument, you're probably going to scream a bit when you find out how much those fuses cost. :p